Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #231 
Elsewhere

Yeah, I give the boys 3 or 4 pellets every morning and evening, same with the girls. So now I'm just going to give morning feedings for the girls and the 30g inhabitants.

I totally feel your pain. I have a bad knee and ankle. Knee was when I fell on the ice and swelled so much I couldn't get my pants off, and I've sprained that ankle so many times that it's almost always in pain and in a tensor bandage -_- Not to mention my luck in ripping a muscle in my should a month before my drama exam (lots of arm movements), and I actually started sobbing in the middle of the cafeteria when one of my "friends" jumped on it. OH. AND LET'S NOT FORGET THE SHINGLES. I got shingles in my right wrist in eighth grade... LUCKY ME. I had it for four months and missed out on the basketball team AND soccer in gym! Oh, and here's the best part- no one was allowed to come near me because if they touched my wrist they got CHICKENPOX!

After that long and winded paragraph, what I'm trying to say is I am RIGHT THERE with you. "Ms. Accident-Waiting-To-Happen", as my my mother says.

I got some Oak Tree leaves because someone suggested them to me, dug around at my grandmother's house for a while and came up with quite a number of brown fallen off leaves. I'm posting something in the "Betta Care" section on how to sanitize them ^.^
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #232 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yes, got to love us accident prone people! lol In fifth grade I broke my right wrist due to trying to ice skate with my older and younger brother. My older brother was teaching us but that didn't stop me from falling. But in school I was writing with my left hand and the teacher accidentally wrote me a note saying that my hand writing should be better than this and that's it--whoops!!! I'm so sorry, I forgot about your wrist! lol it was a funny note though.

Wow that really sucks about shingles!!! I had the Whooping cough when I was only 2 weeks old and so I never got the shot for chickenpox but I got it four years ago so I should be safe but there was a long time where anything could have happened to my compromised immune system!

I recently had gotten some hives on my arms and they looked sort of like chickenpox so I sort of freaked out and did a bunch of research but found that it was only an intolerance to caffeine >.> I can have iced coffee but not much hot coffee, I can't have real iced tea but only the flavored watered kind which I don't mind so much. Can't have black tea because I'm intolerant to the tannins and regular green tea has too much caffeine for me....sigh.

I won't get you started on my allergies lol

Oh and for oak leaves, as long as you know there haven't been pesticides or insecticides sprayed around there, they are safe to use. Then I just rinse and rub them under some hot water and into the tank they go! They produce LOTS of tannins though, so ye be warned! In fact the oak is the tree that produces the most tannins out of all tree's used for Tanning all the time and hence the name tanning comes from tannins!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #233 
Elsewhere

Wow, you're just as bad as me! My three worst "accident stories" out of the hundreds I have are:

1. I was playing four square and wasn't looking when the basketball came. It bent my thumb all the way back, and my thumb immediately turned grey and puffed up and I was screaming bloody murder. Everyone (even the doctor) thought it was broken, but X-Rays proved it wasn't. It was just SEVERELY sprained. I had a little midget thumb splint on for a month. On my left hand. And I'm left-handed. The teacher SUCKED. She didn't care that my thumb was like that, even with notes from my parents, and expected me to write everything like everyone else.

2. I was racing my cousin and tripped on the curb, cutting through my favourite pair of pants and gashing my knee and my foot going all the way around. When I was a kid I had a combination of CVS (Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome) and Pediatric Migraines (won't even get into THAT) so I have a high pain tolerance. I walked all around town and got home, took off my shoe and my foot was HUGE. It wasn't broken, but I ripped like two tendons or something and was on crutches for a while.

3. I reached through the kitty hole in my door downstairs and pulled my arm back to find a piece of glass sticking in it. First thing I do? Push it further in by accident trying to keep the blood off of the carpet. I had to pull out the glass and smaller broken pieces, and... Oh my God that HURT.

ANYWAYS, my grandmother's property is HUGE, so she doesn't use pesticides, so I'll get started on that ASAP :)
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #234 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ofph! That's quite a list as well!

I think my top three would be breaking both wrists although that happened separately. First was my left in second grade when my brother and I were doing cartwheels in the house...well I went up but didn't go all the way over, twisted my wrist all the way around and fell. Best thing; my mom was vacuuming so she didn't hear me but felt me hit the floor lol, kind of funny but sad at the same time. Rushed to the hospital.

Second was my right wrist from ice skating.

Third is an ongoing thing from when I was fourteen or so (now twenty) and I was swinging between the island counter top and the regular counter top and I kicked up too high and I fell on my hip. Spinal fracture but didn't bother me too much then. Now one of my joints at my hips is corroded and doesn't like to move so it locks up all the time. I used to go to physical therapy to work out all the knots in my back but I haven't gone in three years because of money issues, I mean it's only 13.47 each appointment but still, I could eat for days with that money lol.

And then just the casual Whooping Cough, Bronchular Asthma which is gone now, annual bronchitis and annual bad sinus infections lol the allergies don't help that XD

FUN TIMES! We'd be like two peas in a pod if we went to the same school and all haha
Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #235 
Elsewhere

Oh my, we are waaaaay too much alike! I too had serious asthma as a child, any kind of humidity and my lungs would inflame, so I had to keep the inhaler with me at all times from 3rd-8th grade (SO FUN). Oh, and in case you REALLY like disease, CVS and Pediatric Migraines basically caused me from grades 2-6 to be in the hospital for a week every other month (it had it's own schedule to uphold) with stomach pains that the doctor said were similar to being in labour, constant vomiting, being hooked up to IV needles, taking massive amounts of pills, not being able to eat or drink for a week, and losing up to thirty pounds in five days, then gaining it back from the pills.

BUT. I haven't had what my mother calls an "episode" in three years. At least, not a hospitalized one. When under severe stress or when my eating habits change, I get minor episodes that cause me to be out of school for several days, but not in the hospital. I couldn't do our school's 30 hours fast because my mum was afraid I'd end up in the hospital -_-

HAPPY FUN TIMES. Anywho, the Oak leaves are in and Atlas is already working away on a bubble nest, Boreas is flaring, and the girls are all trying to lay on it at once XD I can already see Pablo slowing making his way towards it LOL
Old 08-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #236 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup SUPER UBBER HAPPY FUN TIMES! lmao

Yeah I didn't have anything serious like that and my asthma wasn't bad enough that I had to carry an inhaler with me so I was lucky. But there's still a chance that my asthma could come back, I already have sleep apnea so that's fun!

Oh lol that's too funny of the leaves! Yeah they work really well! i didn't wash mine as much as I wanted to but it came out fine. It actually dropped my pH like...a lot so keep an eye on that and just do a small water change if it becomes too much. My 10 gallon went from 6.5 down to 5.5 o.O good for Betta but not for snail or shirmp lol
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #237 
Elsewhere

My dad has sleep apnea and I can hear his snoring from the basement... On the top level of the house XD My mum is going crazy :P

I'll keep an eye out... My pH is about 8.2, so it doesn't worry me too much. I run on town water, so it's naturally pretty high. Which angers me. If it gets too low, I'll just put little Pablo into the 30g with his mum and dad :) After they pass (which could be any time now) I'll probably get one more snail, because I really do love watching them.

Oh, and you're heading up here tomorrow! How exciting! Maybe you could stop by for a visit LOL
Old 08-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #238 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol I'd visit you if you were around Niagara lol but otherwise, sorry, not this trip at least!

Yeah my dad has asthma and sleep apnea so I can hear him up in my room as well on the other side of the house up one floor too lol.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #239 
Elsewhere

So I'm a terrible pet owner XD I just put Norman in the drawer above my desk to see what he'd do when I closed the door... Awaiting results...

Darn! I live like six hours from Niagara XD

Aaaand he's meowing. Better let him out :P
Old 08-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #240 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

OMG I just died laughing at that!!! Oh that poor kitty but that's hilarious! I would do the same thing if I didn't know that my cats would then try to kill me afterwards for revenge XD Well Siberian would probably let me do it, he just hates being held for the most part, but we're working on that!

Well poo, grab a car and get your butt to Niagara! We're driving 8 hours there! lol