Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #271 
Elsewhere

Perfect! Pics are uploading, and she seems much happier in her 2.5 instead of the cup. I think I'll release Andromeda, now that Kass won't rip her fins. I saw white "dots" on her body (in pics) but I think they were just bubbles clinging to her side, as at first there was one, then more and more over a three minute period, then they were disappear and com back (the tank is covered in air bubbles right now).
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #272 
Elsewhere

Here are the pics:

EDIT** The dark patch on her top fin there is just the lighting from the camera, I just rechecked it and it's all red.

I've got the tank on Epsom salts and have some Oak Leaves in there. Bought Omega One today (finally). It was bloody expensive, but it'll probably last me til' November-December.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #273 
Elsewhere

Just tested all of my water, because why not, and found it to again be somehow between 0 and 0.25. I always just assumed it was 0 and was my poor eyesight, because my mother said it wasn't eight colour of 0 or 0.25 but in between as well. I tested my tap water, and found these:

Ammonia: Same as mentioned above
pH: 7.6
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 20-30

Everything but the pH (8-8.2 depending on the tank) was the same as the tap... Does this mean anything's wrong with my water or the tap water? I'm doing another WC on the 30g tomorrow, just to see if it'll lower the ammonia to get it pure yellow.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #274 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Those white spots aren't bubbles are they.....that's definitely Ich for those, her eye though I still don't know. Ich can be cured with just bumping the temp up to 85-86 and you can do that for the entire tank since they most likely all have it now. Doing daily/every other day water changes of at least 50% will definitely help get rid of free floating particles but more than 50% is always welcomed. Light at a minimum 6-8 hours a day. And you should be good to go.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #275 
Elsewhere

Actually, they were just bubbles, thank God. I had just filled the tank and the bubbles went everywhere. Right after this pic, they started shifting as she searched around and in an hour were gone and have yet to return... If you go to the other thread I had up, you'll see the treatment Sakura and I decided on. She thinks it's external parasites, and I'm treating Kassiandra, the 10g and Boreas with Melafix. Soon to be AQ Salt and hopefully Marcyn one and/or two.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #276 
Elsewhere

She seems a wee bit better today. I'm planning on giving her a salt bath in about an hour, I've been out all day. Every time a fish gets sick, I've had plans for a week on the exact days they need me most -_- I turned off the heater, it's malfunctioning, but it's almost two years old and non-adjustable. Plus, the temp is staying at a safe 75, recommended for anything fungal. Same with Boreas, keeping it at 75 just in case. I bought a desk lamp today to brighten up Kass's tank and added some more oak leaves- I think this has helped her.

This morning I was certain she was going to die. She looked just awful. I gave her second dose of Melafix, got the lamp and after three hours of caution, I can safely say she's improved. While I know this could still turn right around, I feel a sense of foolish optimism for her. We're going to PetSmart and a locally owned store two hours away tonight or tomorrow in search for a heater and Marcyn one or two.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #277 
Elsewhere

And there goes my optimism... She looks like Athena did when she got near the end. Just floating, resting, trying to get comfortable. I was planning on a 100% change, but she looks so frail right now I'm terrified that the stress of being cupped, netted and released with just make her worse... I'll see what the morning brings.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #278 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well thank god those were just bubbles!! It was so hard to tell, I know my fish get bubbles caught on them but that last picture really did look like it

anyway, sorry to hear she's not doing any better I hope she pulls through! I'd wonder if you should medication the entire 10 to eradicate any other external parasites that you have floating in the tank if most of your girls died looking similar at least. It might be the culprit of all the deaths :-/ I'd double check that with Sakura anyway though, she knows her stuff!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #279 
Elsewhere

I've medicated the 10g, Boreas's 5g, and Kass's 2.5. I'm giving both Kass and Boreas salt baths today, see if that helps... Probably in the 2.5, it's an easier space to medicate with the salt.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #280 
Elsewhere

Okay... Finally doing the frigging salt baths, it took me long enough -_- Boreas looks like he HATES me. Only eight more minutes, buddy. I'll then empty the 2.5 AGAIN and add Kass in. She's in a little cup right now, eating (finally) some Daphnia. She looks quite a bit better right now, hopefully the salt bath will help.

Turns out that at every store I went to Marcyn one or two was THIRTY BUCKS. I can't afford that right now, not if I wanted to get her a proper heater. So I got fungal medication, it seemed like it would do the trick. I looked it up and it said it could be treated with Melafix, so that's going to begin tonight after the salt baths. (Six minutes now, Boreas).

I also got a new boy tonight. I can already feel your eye roll, Lilnaugrim. BUT FEAR NOT! He's not for me, he's for a children's center that I look after the fish for. I'm just babysitting him while he gets a new heater for the tank, since the current one isn't working. I was supposed to wait to get him, but he was SOOOO pretty and I knew the kids would love him. He's a blue and white (for now) halfmoon marble. I haven't gotten any pics, and probably won't until he's in his permanent home. Pigg is NOT happy with the arrival of this floating newcomer :P

Oh, I also went to a pet store today that took quite decent care of their Bettas. The girls were in a sorority, and the boys all had at least 0.5-1 gal vases. Granted, they weren't heated vases, but it's better than I've ever seen anyone else do. They said they do daily water changes, and that they sell quickly to good homes. I didn't see ONE SINGLE tank in that place that was called a "Betta tank". They said for first time owners, nothing short of a 2.5, but with those they know they let them take whatever they want XD