Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #41 
Elsewhere

Well, it's been a while! My apologies, I've been dealing with a little ball of pure fluff and terror named Norman :) I have decided to sell the Cories- I love them, but they produce WAY too much waste and haven't done a thing for the tank. I was expecting them not to do much in terms of cleaning, but MAN do they poop! So I am hoping to get 10 bucks for the lot of them, then go and get some Otos, as I have had a great time with them before :)
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #42 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Congrats on your new fluffy ball of fury! lol

Sad to hear about the cory's, I am however, 98% sure that Otos produce more waste than cory's. Perhaps I'm wrong though? I thought that Otos, plecos, and snails were the bigger of the poop-machines...Either way though, good luck with selling the cory's and getting the new fish :D I want pictures soon!! :D
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #43 
Elsewhere

Well he is currently passed out on my keyboard, so pardon any spelling mistakes!

Yes, the Otos definitely poop more, but at least they mainly eat algae, you know? The tank is having some serious problems with that, which is why I'm not updating with pics, it's kinda gross looking, and I'm having to scrub more off every day... Which is not working at all. The last Otos I had kept the tank SPOTLESS and ate any kind of veggie I gave them, so I'm hoping that someone will take the Cories soon!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #44 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah right, right, right. I forgot you were talking about algae XD my bad!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #45 
Elsewhere

Yeah. At least the parameters are all good, so the algae is just an ugly accessory! :P I have it in all of my tanks, it just loves me -_-
Old 05-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #46 
Elsewhere

The algae is a hideous brown and WILL NOT come off of my glass -_- Any advice with this, I've been scrubbing the sides for ages now! The Cories have found a good home and will go there sometime this week. I actually care for the tank they'll be going to for volunteer hours, so I'll be able to keep an eye on them! So far every pet store around me is out of Otos for the next week, so I'm half scrubbing the algae and half letting it grow... Just want to get it off the front, where it is seen by all! Grr!
Old 05-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #47 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Huh that's weird because brown algae, given that it is diatom should come off extremely easily...perhaps it's a different kind of algae but I don't know of any other brown algae that isn't diatom. Or are you saying your green algae turned brown? Don't have an algae scrubbing brush either?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #48 
Elsewhere

AHAHHAA! I JUST FOUND MY BRUSH THIS MORNING! SUCCESS! I'm going downstairs now to scrub it off! Yessss! My mother had redone my room and removed the brush and it was in the crawlspace! Took me an hour to find it! I'll update on the situation in a while! And yes, it was originally green, but now it's brown.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #49 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yay!!! Congrats! lol

Seems it might be dying off then if it turned brown? I mean, that's just my logic, perhaps that's not what is happening though?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #50 
Elsewhere

I have no clue, there seems to be a mix of the two, and my brush is not helping. I've gotten off what I can, but it's mostly growing right in front of the big Colosseum thing in the center and I can't move that or get my hand down there... GRRR! And it's all over the pillars, which I also can't get at, because it shakes the whole thing and scares the crap out of my fish... Hopefully the Otos can help once I get them, otherwise that Colosseum is coming out for a scrubbing!