Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #511 
Elsewhere

I really wish I had known that two days ago. I've read countless times that it's okay to float them for a short time if they've been QTed, and now I feel incredibly guilty. I just got home from work, and Bloo has passed. Upon further inspection, they ripped out her intestines and her eye, along with her pectorals. God, I feel so stupid. With these other girls I'll wait a lot longer, QT them for 3 weeks instead of two. Ugh, I feel awful!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #512 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's not your fault! As I had said before, many people say that as well and hence you were doing the right thing in reading! I know this mostly just from experience and now you do as well, unfortunately but it's all just learning experiences and now you know for the future! Sometimes it does work just to let them float for a day or so and let them in but it all depends on the sorority. If the sorority is still young and figuring out their hierarchy, yeah it's probably fine to let her in early to establish herself. But an older sorority will have more trouble letting in a new comer and that's why it's better to have them floating for a week or so which can also serve as a QT period so if you have room to float a cup in there you can use the last week of her QT period and just do it in the tank, that way she can go in after her QT is up!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #513 
Elsewhere

Yeah, and that definitely won't happen ever again for this sorority... Andromeda made a quick appearance today, and it looks like the extra pellets I've been dropping her have worked since she doesn't look like skin and bones anymore. When I redo the tank tomorrow she'll have to be caught, and I'll be cupping her as well, so she can get some strength back, possibly going back in later if ever.

So a filter in Pigg's tank, no matter how small, wasn't the best idea. He wouldn't come out of his little vase for the time it was in there. I'll be returning it tomorrow... He's been acting very tired lately. His tail looks incredibly heavy for him, and I think it's weighing him down. When I go up to the tank he'll be all flashy and dance and eat pellets, but otherwise he just chills at the bottom. He doesn't look sick at all, just very tired.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #514 
Tony2632

I have an idea for your driftwood. You ever try using stainless steel screws and a piece of slate to hold down your driftwood? I'm using cypress wood I got from the bayou and I've been using the same method in my tank for about 2 and a half months now and everything seems fine with it.
Tony2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #515 
Elsewhere

Thanks for the advice, Tony! I ended up tying it to a rock, then just sitting the rock on top of it, haha!

So everything is different, and I'm watching the girls closely. Andromeda has been cupped and I'll be observing her closely. Wilt LOVES all of the plants in his tank! Both 10 gallons are basically just plants and driftwood now, with some small exceptions. The girls have fewer hiding places, but I'll be getting more soon It turns out a new "fish safe" thing I got for them was WREAKING and, after testing the water, SKYROCKETING the ammonia! I've cleaned and cleaned that water, and the ammonia is lucky down to .25-.5, and I'll be doing another change this evening and/or tomorrow.

So I've messed my wrist up lifting turkeys through a cash at my job. It KILLS, and I'm wearing a brace on it now. Stupid thing. Anyways, I'll update with pics in a little bit.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #516 
Tony2632

Tying it is alot easier lol I can't wait to see some pictures.
Tony2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #517 
Elsewhere

Yeah, I just kind of shoved a rock on top of it XD The pictures are loading into Photobucket now! Ugh, sorry for any spelling mistakes, I have a brace on my wrist and typing sucks.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #518 
Elsewhere

I HATE PetSmart. This woman that's always working and knows nothing gave me 2 Hornwarts when I specifically asked for 2 Cabomba's- that's an extra 2 bucks, PLUS needles to clean up! YIPPEE! -_- At least I got a GIANT Anubias. She thought it was a Java Fern. I was like "Well you can charge me that" and she's like "Oh, no, you're right" and I'm like mhm you have no idea. Anyshway, everyone is doing good here and yatta yatta.

Oh, I have exciting news for Christmas! For most of my life, I've always dreamed of having an old 19th century type-writer, and our antique shop is selling one I've mentioned it to my mum and she's considering it! She also said that a 20g is totally possibly for Christmas as well! Gah! Yay!

Oh, AND! AND! (This was a pretty great day, BTW) my mum said if I either don't get picked to go on the trip or decide not to go (I still have no idea. I mean, a whole year is a long time) that this spring she and my dad will be redoing the backyard and there's room for a pond! It'll be my 16th birthday this year, and everyone I know is asking for a car, so my asking for my mum to chip in on a pond is a MUCH better deal, LOL! I really find it ridiculous that people get a car at 16. I mean, you can't even drive on your own until 17, so it seems kind of pointless to me. ANYWAYS! I never thought I would actually get a pond in my backyard, and my grandmother has previously said she would love to buy me decent breeding stock pond fish for my birthday (20 or 30 bucks each for a Shubunkin. Oi, it's steep!) so if this ever did happen it would be fabulous! In case you couldn't tell, I am a planner and a researcher. I have the desire to know every possible outcome for ANYTHING that can happen, even if it's a slight chance. So that's why I'm so excited about this!

So after this really long post, I would like to just put in that I LOVE Halloween City. It's a store that's only around at Halloween, and it's AMAZING! We spent like a hundred bucks there on coffins and gags and stickers and costumes. I got some AWESOME gore prosthetic eye covers and slit throat things, so I'm super excited for Halloween this year!

So, as promised, here are the pictures!

Sorority:

Divided 10:

30g:

A bridge in the next town over:

Sunset shots:

Playing basketball:

Old 10-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #519 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually, we can drive when we're 16 if we have our permit ^_^ lol, but gratz on the possible pond and 20 and typewriter! Totally awesome! Great pictures too ^_^ I love the one where the camera is on the road looking out, very beautiful.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #520 
Elsewhere

Well then my mother has been lying to me >.> Probably for the best, considering I nearly took out an apple tree during lessons with my dad XD Yes, very exciting! Now that I have a legit job it will be much easier to do projects and such. Thank you! I too enjoyed the road one... I really wish we would move, I'm running out of angles to take the same sunset with every night :P