Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Is the tetra whisper 10i a good betta filter for a ten gallon tank?
Yes 4 57.14%
It's okay 3 42.86%
No it's terrible 0 0%
THE BEST FILTER EVER!!! 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Uhm, 5 tsps per gallon is just a little too much. Salt can severely damage the internal organs if improperly used so best to be careful and always err on the side of caution.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #22 
Hadoken Kitty

I agree. 5 tsp/gal is too much. When dealing with the worst of cases, 3 tsp/gal is the maximum that you want to use.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #23 
jasperandecho

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAV 204 View Post
Haha this is a fungus from to much spoiled food. But don't worry!!! I can help you. First get him into a heated tank and raise the temp to about 80-82. Second, get som aquarium salt and put some in your tank (5 tea spoons per gallon). It looks pretty mild so it should work. BUT! If it does get worse for some odd reason then go to the petsmart, petco etc. some type of fish store and pick up some fungus meds.

I really don't think it's from spoiled food because I watch him eat his food and never let it sit and I clean up his feces regularly. I don't think it's safe to put that much salt in. I have 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt for his 2.5 gallon tank, which is what the directions advise (1/2 teaspoon per gallon).
jasperandecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #24 
ANHEL123

Do not follow instructions on the box it just for preventative care . If you still treating him with medications i would finish it and then start with aquarium salt. Well i would like to Sakura confirm if i am right about it. Use as suggested by Sakura 3tsp/gall . If you raise the temp it will help to speed up parasites life cycle and help them to fall faster. Wash and completely dry out all changing equipment after each use- will kill any parasites(no host they die). Pre mix salt and make sure it completely dissolved so you don't burn him. I would also take all decorations out and wash it in hot water and live it to dry out until you sure he don't have parasites. Or you need to wash it and dry out all decoration with every change. Do daily changes. And make sure you acclimate him to the new water temperature so you don't shock him with drastic temperature difference. How he doing?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #25 
jasperandecho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Do not follow instructions on the box it just for preventative care . If you still treating him with medications i would finish it and then start with aquarium salt. Well i would like to Sakura confirm if i am right about it. Use as suggested by Sakura 3tsp/gall . If you raise the temp it will help to speed up parasites life cycle and help them to fall faster. Wash and completely dry out all changing equipment after each use- will kill any parasites(no host they die). Pre mix salt and make sure it completely dissolved so you don't burn him. I would also take all decorations out and wash it in hot water and live it to dry out until you sure he don't have parasites. Or you need to wash it and dry out all decoration with every change. Do daily changes. And make sure you acclimate him to the new water temperature so you don't shock him with drastic temperature difference. How he doing?
When I did the 100% water change I washed every decor and gravel thoroughly with near boiling water. Do I have to do it again? He's doing better, he's swimming again, but his fins are still clamped. He's sores, I believe are just missing scales that scraped off by the filter and I hope they will grow back. He still has ick and that white veiny thing on his head developed a small fuzz maybe? I'm hoping the ick treatment will kill it off though.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #26 
ANHEL123

I would think that fuzz may be his slime coat from the medications which is his natural defense against parasites.
About decorations i would wash them and just keep them out of the tank until you know he don't have parasites any longer. If you have live plants take them out and quarantine them in the water without water conditioner untill you know he don't have parasites any longer.
Take the filter out.
Do you still using medications? If you finished them or if you will finish them soon i would start him on aquarium salt 3tsp/gall with daily 100% water changes.
When you do 100% water changes make sure you acclimate him. People do it diffirent ways. You can have him in his changing cup with about 15% of the water and keep adding new pre mixed water about every 5 min for about 4-5 times. This way he will get used to the new water temperature . There is a few other methods to acclimate betta to the new water temp/chemistry. I think it a bad method when you put betta in the bad and let it float for some period of time ...I am not sure how to do it, may be other people will give you instructions.
Of course you need to add salt with each water change when you do 100% water changes. You can pre mix in in one gall jug and use it for 2 treatments. Always cover the container when you acclimate him to prevent him to jump out. They really good jumpers. My bettas always try to jump out when i keep them in their changing cup.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #27 
jasperandecho

ANHEL123 Are you sure? Because the fuzz is in an uneven patterned line on his dorsal side.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #28 
Hadoken Kitty

I really feel like the pet store employee was wrong on this one. Ich would look like gold specs, not white fuzz.....Follow Sakura and ANHEL's advise, as I believe that they are correct.

Sakura is one of the more noted people for dealing with fish diseases. She knows the ins and outs. Callistra is also a very good person. If you ever need any help, these two are often the go-to people on this forum.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #29 
jasperandecho

Ich is not gold spots, ich is white sandy grains. AND he has a small line of fuzz, he's getting better when I added the ich treatment. His fins are starting to relax as the parasites die. I don't know what the fuzz is but I know those white specs are definatly ich. Thanks for the advise! :) from everyone too I really appreciate it!
Old 03-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #30 
Hadoken Kitty

You're right, sorry. White specs is what I wanted to say. They look like white specs, not fuzz.

Here's a really good pic of what it looks like, though.

Tags
algae bloom, ill betta, sores