Originally Posted by okiemavis
Oh dear, that looks quite uncomfortable. My first thought is water quality problems. Could you... provide us with the info so we can help you some more?
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons)
2.5 gallons I think (12" x 6" x 9")
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water?
Fresh. (Flitered tap with conditioner & Ph adjuster.)
3. How long the aquarium has been set up?
Several months now (He was in a smaller unheated goldfish bowl).
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium?
Just my Betta Stu.
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
Yes. Two recommended by PetSmart as good for Bettas (whatever that means).
6. What temperature is the tank water currently?
The green light on the heater means it is at the preset of 78 (+/- 2) degrees.
7. What make/model filter are you using?
None currently. (Should I get something like the Penquin Mini?)
8. Are you using a CO2 unit?
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? Yes, filtered ambient light (south facing room).
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
A few days ago. Maybe half.
11. How often do you perform water changes?
2 times a month. The water seems to evaporate rather quickly after adding the heater, so I often add a half tank volume once a week.
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
Daily 3 days a week then not for 2-3 days (I travel for a living). If I am gone more than 2 days, I have a neighbor drop Stu some Betta Gold kibble. I also have freeze dried bloodworms.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on?
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time?
Poor fin condition, cystic spot.
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
I have a general Ph Test & Adjuster kit. Our tap water is at the top of the scale (at least 7.8) but I try to get it closer to 7.2. The store said more dramatic changes than what he has always lived in may do him worse.
I have no idea about the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips?
API Ph Kit.
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank?