Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Can we have a divided tank sticky?

I hope it's ok to put a request out there on this. I looked at Moderator suggestions there are no posts and it says it's private.
Dividing tanks is reasonably popular subject. So if you are a moderator reading this please consider or maybe you're a long time expert maybe write something (even by section) and it will get stickied.

This topic is something I am paying attention to currently since I am buying 20 long. I've been reading posts, about damaged fish, escaping fish, jumpers, fish that got tragically sick or are in danger of getting sick due to exposure to disease. All sorts of unintenional things happen I think partly because people only find out how to do it. For consistency it would really be great if we had one that demonstrates how to properly do it so the tank remains secure and pointers for keeping the fish healthy.

Maybe include:

Consideration to disease control should be addressed. Such as how long to isolate new fish before introducing. Links to treating outbreaks.

Cycling of tank why it's best to do this first (fishless) and links to how to do it.

How to securly divide so the divider don't slip with video or pictures
Include things like putting Saran wrap or other barrier to stop jumping.

Discuss the pros and cons of letting the fish see each other other or not. Should the fish be seeing each for awhile before being put into a divided tank? I find this topic a confusing as some people say it's good and some say it's stressful Most tanks I see don't heavily plant in front of the barriers and some things I've read say that is very desirable.

Lastly cleaning pointers and considerations that might different with a divided tank.

Also a separate posting area under the same category for divided tank pics could be nice so people can get ideas and see what people are doing.

I am buying supplies for this tommorow but I will cycle the tank first and my potential fish (all new) are being watched for disease. It would be fantastic to see all the info in one place.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 AM   #2 
Blue Fish

I second this idea, particularly about how to secure the dividers and whether or not fish should see one another. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #3 
waterdog

From what I understand, they are no longer doing stickies. They say it cuts down on conversation and people asking direct questions.
This was explained to me when I asked why my article on sponge filters was never made a sticky even though everyone was requesting it.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Ahh...interesting. Oh well, it was worth a shot! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

People can just ask more questions on the forum. This topic is no different than than looking up fish diseases and treatment Furthermore, people will end up in fish diseases and treatment, and emergencies due lack of complete information on this topic. If someone asks for information people post to go read the sticky if the question is already answered there. Otherwise if it's not covered it's open for more discussion. I think having repetitive conversations about subjects like food (which was stickied) heaters and other subjects constantly brought up interferes with getting answers to other topics. I have had posts go unanswered or barely get looked at because they get buried by topics that are repetitive and consistently needed information. Fish stress, injuries,disease, and deaths can be prevented with a sticky on this.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-28-2013 at 10:50 AM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote