Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #1 
mermaid77

I'm so upset...is this what I think it is?! :(

Hi everyone...
I'm so upset over this...I've been doing everything in my power in order to give my Inuyasha a good, healthy life in my care...I've watched him like a hawk since day one...but at the end of the day, I think his immune system is shot :(
I treated him for fin rot, a condition I purchased him with...and now it's back, only this time on his pectoral fins. I don't understand because I test and change his water regularly...ammonia is always at .25ppm, same level as my tap water...anyway, I'll start the salt treatment again for that, but it's not what's concerning me...

Can anyone confirm for me if that spot on his gill might be HITH??? It appeared practically overnight and this was two days ago...when he flares, light will shine through it...so the tissue there is obviously very thin...At first I thought he may have scraped against the decor...I saw him dart towards it a couple of times and thought he might've hit it...but I know darting is also indicative behavior of parasites and such...it hasn't gotten worse since I first saw it.

If this is it, I did read the sticky on how to treat it...my question is, I only just set up his tank on March 16th with new substrate, decor and live plants...will I need to treat the entire tank with medication...? If so, is it safe to do so for my plants? I'm hoping to get away with a couple of consecutive 50% water changes and it's something he'd be able to normally fight off once he's back on his fins...

Housing
What size is your tank? 5G
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? YES
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO
Is your tank heated? YES
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NONE

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? OMEGA ONE BETTA BUFFET, FREEZE FRIED BLOODWORMS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 PELLETS 2X A DAY, BLOODWORMS ONE DAY A WEEK, FASTING ONE DAY.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? TWICE A WEEK SLOWLY ACCLIMATING HIM EACH TIME AND THE CLEAN WATER IS OF LIKE TEMP.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? PRIME (double dose 4 drops/gal, PH DOWN (single dose 2 drops/gal ) My tap is 8.6 or at least that's how high the high range test goes...)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? WHITE TRANSLUCENT SPOT ON GILL
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? TENDS TO SPEND A LITTLE MORE TIME RESTING ON THE SUBSTRATE THAN USUAL BUT ONLY MOMENTS, HE MOVES AROUND FREQUENTLY, STILL QUITE ACTIVE OVERALL. HEALTHY APPETITE.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? TWO DAYS AGO
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? NO
Does your fish have any history of being ill? FIN ROT
How old is your fish (approximately)? UNKNOWN, PURCHASED ON FEB 23RD.
Attached Images

mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #2 
Otterfun

his fin rot is not that bad from what I see.
take him to a QT tank and try 100%WC for a day or two to see if it disappears, if not 10 days of 5cc/1g AQ salt (max number of days) and see if it goes away. Fin rot and the white dot should disappear.

If not, then probably Maracyn and Maracyn II, but it will be the last resort IMHO.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #3 
mermaid77

WILL DO!!! But question: Since I double dose the Prime for my ammonia problem, do you think it wise to also add some Stress Coat at the dose suggested to help with healing...or is that overkill and likely to do more harm than good?

Thanks so much!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #4 
Otterfun

Hmmm, is this a new tank in process of cycling?
If it is maybe you can treat him in the 5g tank, just more work w/WC. But given the high Ammonia, maybe 5g will be easier on the betta.

Prime and Stress Coat + would work.

Test the ammonia after Prime and Stress Coat+ to get a baseline.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #5 
mermaid77

Yes it is new...my concern with in tank treatments is my live plants...that's why I was wondering if that white dot might be something I should be treating the tank for and what to do with my plants in that case. Sorry, I'm still a total newb...lol
Old 03-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #6 
jadaBlu

I have found the Jungle Brand water conditioner with aloe used in conjunction with Prime to be very helpful for healing fin rot. I always add it to my tank with water changes and If a fish has fin rot I add extra throughout the week.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #7 
Otterfun

Oops wrong post...sorry
Old 03-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #8 
mermaid77

Thanks jadaBlu I can only assume the beneficial result would be the same with the Prime-Stress Coat combo...Since using both isn't harmful, I plan on using both regularly when conditioning the water for changes...at lesser doses of course...

Well, my poor boy is in his QT tank being salted yet again...I feel so sorry for him That lesion on his head is definitely a hole...though I'm still baffled by it...He doesn't display any symptoms at all...no lethargy or appetite loss whatsoever, and also, if one can rely on the info in Wikipedia at all, it states the primary cause of such lesions is excessive exposure to high levels of nitrites :/. His new tank isn't cycled and tests always come back at 0ppm...must be something else...and again I'm at a loss because I'm so diligent about water changes...

I went ahead and did a 95% water change in his 5G, uprooted and rinsed off all the plants and decor...tossed out the sponge filter media and cleaned the filter...the substrate is sand and I'm so afraid there may be something still lurking in there that may cause him to have a relapse once he heals...should I just chuck it all out and call it a day?
Old 03-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #9 
mermaid77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid77 View Post
Thanks jadaBlu I can only assume the beneficial result would be the same with the Prime-Stress Coat combo...Since using both isn't harmful, I plan on using both regularly when conditioning the water for changes...at lesser doses of course...

Well, my poor boy is in his QT tank being salted yet again...I feel so sorry for him That lesion on his head is definitely a hole...though I'm still baffled by it...He doesn't display any symptoms at all...no lethargy or appetite loss whatsoever, and also, if one can rely on the info in Wikipedia at all, it states the primary cause of such lesions is excessive exposure to high levels of nitrites :/. His new tank isn't cycled and tests always come back at 0ppm...must be something else...and again I'm at a loss because I'm so diligent about water changes...

I went ahead and did a 95% water change in his 5G, uprooted and rinsed off all the plants and decor...tossed out the sponge filter media and cleaned the filter...the substrate is sand and I'm so afraid there may be something still lurking in there that may cause him to have a relapse once he heals...should I just chuck it all out and call it a day?
Please...can anyone tell me if my tank/plants and fish (once healed) should be OK...? I'm terribly worried of re-infection...I suppose I could just toss everything out and start over...but this is getting expensive, far more than I initially thought...but I will do whatever I have to.... Is leaving the tank set up while fishless and just continuing to do regular water changes on it enough for whatever is lurking in there to eventually die off...How long, two weeks, a month? This is my first aquarium and I'm trying very hard not to mess things up for my boy...But if his immune system is as compromised as I suspect, I have the nagging feeling that no matter what I do won't be enough...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks :)
Old 03-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #10 
jadaBlu

I would go ask questions about this in the plant section and possibly include a link to this post. I know they treat plants with potasium permagrate and something else to help prevent disease before adding plants perhaps they can suggest a whole tank treatment or something. Maybe you could get some vita chem and garlic guard to help boost his immune system.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote