Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 03:05 AM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Not sure if I should be worried...

Can bettas see in the dark? My female was bumping into things while I was checking on them. Also, there is a small discolored patch on her gill. It is in every other picture that I have of her, so it isn't new, but it looks more... White? Could it be because the lighting is brighter? Why would she be bumping into things? Here are the questions and answers for further help. I'm hoping nothing is wrong with her as my hospital tank is currently occupied... I will try to post pictures and maybe a video tomorrow.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon divided
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One male betta

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Marine Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets, twice daily and one weekly freeze dried bloodworm

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not yet

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small discolored patch on left gill
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Normal self during the day while the light is on, but listless and unresponsive at night when the light is off. She swims around and bumps into things when the light isn't on.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Just a moment ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Young, maybe a year or less
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

When the lights are out in the tank at night are the lights in the room still on? Have you noticed how long it goes in that she's bumping into things? is it when the tank light goes off initially & then stops or is all of the time? Its normal for them to be "lethargic" when the lights are out as that is their resting time same as you or I. As for the colored patch, sounds like its normal coloring. I have a couple girls who have a silvery color next to their gills but a pic would definitely help. At this point if she's eating & behaving normally I wouldn't worry.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Not all the time. The lights were on when I checked on her last night, and that was when I noticed her bumping into things. I don't know how long, but when I checked on her this morning, she was fine. Could it be that I possibly blinded her for a moment with a flashlight? I wanted to check the patch on her gill, so I pointed a flashlight at her. That was when I noticed the bumping.

I think the patch might just be normal coloring too, as it's always been there, but I just wanted to be sure it wasn't something I should worry about. She's eating normally and acting as she always does, except for the bumping last night.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

Sorry posted on the wrong thread
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

Upon further inspection, it looks like the patch is on both gills. It must be just natural coloring then. Both patches look identical in coloring and shape and size, so I'm just going to guess it's normal. :) That's a relief.

As for the bumping into stuff, I'm hoping that was just because the flashlight was blinding her momentarily... I won't be doing that again.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

HEHE. I agree the flashlight probably startled & blinded her. Just keep doing what you're doing . . . regular water changes, good food & lots of attention. Let us know if some thing changes.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #7 
bettacrazygirl86

Okay, I feel much better now. Thanks. :) She's never had any health issues before, really, and I don't want her to start now that I have her in a divided tank! I don't want anyone getting their roomie sick. :( Especially because my hospital tank is housing my sister's ill fish.

I'll just not shine the flashlight on her anymore. xD I only did it to check out the patch to make sure it wasn't anything bad, and then when I saw her bumping into stuff, I got worried. She's her happy, vicious little self again today though, so I guess she's fine. :)