Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Ial

I have been looking at getting some IAL. I was wondering, what is the grading system, and what does each grade mean.

Also, a few other questions:

1) How do you store unused leafs?
2) How long do they last?
3) How do you use them? Do you just plop them in the tank?
4) How frequently do you change out the leaf?
5) Are there any risks to using it?
6) What are the benefits?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #2 
Myates

Grading system is how whole the leaf is.. grade A means it's a good, solid leaf, B means it has a few holes, C more holes, ripped, etc. It doesn't really make a difference what grade you use, as most rip up the leaves as it is.

In airtight, ziplock bag (usually the freezer size), kept dry.

Can last for a very long time if stored properly and kept dry - can keep them for over a year.

You can plop a leaf (whole, broken up) into the tank, or can soak them in water for 24-36hrs and just use the tannin water they create, can make a "tea" with them which is basically just seeping them in hot water and creating the tannin quicker.

About every 2-3 weeks.. they start to disintegrate in about a week or two - but they are usually changed every 2-3 weeks.

If stored properly there should be no risks.. also purchase from a reputable dealer to ensure no pesticides were used near the tree.

Natural Anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic.. helps strengthen immune system, fins and scales - will help heal wounds, torn fins, lost scales, etc. Lowers pH, helps relieve stress, stimulates color.. it makes the water look amber in color, how deep of a color depends on how much you put in. It simulates the "natural" water and many bettas prefer it. It stimulates breeding.

Depending upon size of leaf and size of tank it will depend on how many leaves to put in it. A typical 6-10" leave you would use 2 for every 10-15 gallons.

Last edited by Myates; 03-28-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Thank you for the information. I was thinking of using Amy on ebay as I have read a lot of good reviews on websites about her. I am going to use them in my 2.5 g with Neptune. He is a tail biter, and I thought it might help. I have tried moving decorations around, rotating decorations, he was in a tank with snails to keep him company (and they cause him fin rot, so he was moved from 10 g to 2.5 g), etc... I have not read anything about it being used for biters, but I figured if it really does help to keep the water healthy and stress down it can't hurt.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #4 
Myates

It won't hurt.. it should help him heal better/quicker as well. He may like the darker water.. either way it's a good thing for him :)

Amy is good from what I hear, I go out of country to get mine as I can get them cheaper (I use TONS of them lol). But Amy is good, and it will be quicker to go through her :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote