Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #1 
NeptunesMom

Swim Bladdar Disease

Yesterday I picked up a fish at Wal-Mart. I was not intending to get a fish, I was intending to get decorations. But, I saw a betta swimming on his side. I found the fish worker who did not seem to care. He kept saying the betta's just came in so he's fine. Well, he is clearly not fine (although I will say all the other betta's looked very healthy). I bought him (I know supporting the system, but how do you walk away), and brought him home. I'm going to attach a picture to better illustrate what he is doing. He lays on the gravel with the lower part of his body and his tail, but his upper body is off the gravel and somewhat erect. He does move around the tank like that pulling himself along the bottom, or getting just enough lift to pull himself all the way up for a few fleeting strokes.

I am going to fill this out, but some is not relevant since he just came home.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 g (filled about 1.5" above his head)
What temperature is your tank? Unknown, it was a spare tank I did not have a temp gauge on.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? No.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? He has not eaten yet, but I feed Omega Betta pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Not eaten yet. (Suggestions on how to feed him. how often while ill?)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? None yet.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? None yet.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I used Stress Coat + for his water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
N/A
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He can not lift himself off the gravel. He could not lift himself off the bottom of the cup either at Wal-Mart.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Unknown, I don't know him yet.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? At Wal-Mart when I bought him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Stress Coat +
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Unknown.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown, but he is fairly small. He's about the size of my almost year old female (in the body. not the tail).

I am pretty sure it's SBD but wanted to double check before I treated for it. I wanted to see if someone else may think it's something else. I know you use Epsome salt to treat SBD, but I've never used that before. Is it similar to using Aquarium salt? What is the g of water to salt ratio?
Attached Images

NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #2 
tekkguy

Pre-dissolve pure Epsom salts in a bit of warm tank water (total dosage around 1.5 tsp per gallon of water in his tank - keep the level low). Treat him with that, re-adding salts at each water change (which you should be doing once a day in such a small volume).

Fast him for a couple of days at least, and then try some daphnia (frozen if you don't have/can't get live). It should clear up with just the salt and the fiber from daphnia if it is SBD.

His scales aren't showing signs of problems, are they?
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #3 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Pre-dissolve pure Epsom salts in a bit of warm tank water (total dosage around 1.5 tsp per gallon of water in his tank - keep the level low). Treat him with that, re-adding salts at each water change (which you should be doing once a day in such a small volume).

Fast him for a couple of days at least, and then try some daphnia (frozen if you don't have/can't get live). It should clear up with just the salt and the fiber from daphnia if it is SBD.

His scales aren't showing signs of problems, are they?
No, he looks fine. His color is great, no spots, tears, fluff or pine cone going on. It's just the dragging along the bottom that is our issue.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #4 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
No, he looks fine. His color is great, no spots, tears, fluff or pine cone going on. It's just the dragging along the bottom that is our issue.
If that's the only issue, it certainly does sound like SBD!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

I will go pick up some salt and daphnia today. I have never fed frozen food. How do you feed frozen food?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #6 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
I will go pick up some salt and daphnia today. I have never fed frozen food. How do you feed frozen food?
Defrost small amounts of it at a time in a cup of tank water. Then you can feed it.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
Defrost small amounts of it at a time in a cup of tank water. Then you can feed it.
When you say small amounts would it be one small cube? Then do I just dump it into the tank or... what?

Any recommendations for water changes? How do I keep it as stress less as possible.

On a bright update, I came home from picking up epsome salt and daphnia and he is now off the gravel. The very bottom of his tail is dragging, but his body was off.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #8 
tekkguy

No, one cube is probably WAY too much, unless you have multiple fish you're feeding with it. Take part of one cube. A small part. Remember how small their stomachs are!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #9 
Sakura8

What I do is find a small cup and defrost a cube. I put the unused portion in the fridge for up to three or four days. When feeding daphnia, you may want to use an eyedropper. It's very small and can get messy.

Since he has trouble making it to the surface, you may want to lower the water level so it's easier for him.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #10 
NeptunesMom

Thank you both for the help. His breeder must have fed him using an eye dropper because he came running to it as soon as I put it in the tank. He ate the daphnia without any problems. I did about a 50% water change (1 tsp Epsom per gallon and Stress Coat +), which ended up being about 1/2 gallon, so it must have about 1 g in it. I originally put two gallons in it, and then lowered the water so I wasn't sure where that left us. I did the 50% because I was trying to stress him as little as possible. When he started to freak out (swimming frantically, and hiding) I stopped.

He seems to be settling in. He still is favoring the bottom of the tank to the top, but I am seeing improvements. How many days should I feed him the daphnia? When should I start him on the Omega betta pellets?