Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 PM   #11 
Sakura8

If he'll eat the pellets, you may try switching them off and on. A more balanced diet will help with recovery.

If he continues to show no improvement but is otherwise acting healthy, then it could be a genetic problem as well. I had a handicapped betta who had a paralyzed back and he kind of sat like that. So who knows.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
If he'll eat the pellets, you may try switching them off and on. A more balanced diet will help with recovery.

If he continues to show no improvement but is otherwise acting healthy, then it could be a genetic problem as well. I had a handicapped betta who had a paralyzed back and he kind of sat like that. So who knows.
I tried a pellet this morning. He didn't express any interest, in fact when I put my hand over the tank to drop it above him, he laid flat out on his side on the bottom. He laid like that until I bumped the tank, then he scrambled over to the heater and propped himself up next to it. Once I walked away I saw him cruise over the the front of the tank to sit and watch me.

I am starting to wonder if he is special needs. He really has not improved much. He'll have a home here until he dies, but I don't know how to care for a special needs fish. He seemed to eat okay from the dropper (based on what I could tell), should I feed him from the dropper? Beyond the daphnia, what can I feed him with a dropper?

All I have in the tank right now is a plant, he seems to like to hide under it, should I add more plants? I don't want to make it hard for him to get around (since he kinda moves along the gravel), but I want him to feel comfortable.

I am ordering IAL today for my tail biter Neptune, would it be okay to put it in with Marius (the one with either SBD or special needs) as well?
NeptunesMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #13 
tekkguy

He would probably appreciate the IAL ... just don't shock him with a huge change in params.

You can feed just about anything with a dropper if it's small enough ... you can crush pellets, and suck them up with it. Just be sure to have a baster or siphon ready to clear them up if he ignores the ground up bits.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #14 
Sakura8

My special needs betta Scooter lived to 1.5 years so Marius can have a healthy full life as well.

For Marius, he will need a tank that is shallow, 6" or less of water so he can easily surface to breathe. Fill it with plants (plastic or otherwise) for him to prop himself up in near the surface. Scooter used to sit in his plants looking like an underwater buzzard. o.O For feeding, you might try to feed him frozen bloodworms as well. If he'll eat from a dropper, there is a good chance he'll eat from tweezers or a toothpick and it's easy to feed individual worms that way. Scooter never could eat pellets so it's okay if Marius can't.

As time goes on, Marius may discover how to "hop" onto the plants. For now, he stays on the gravel because that's all he's known.

Oh! One other thing I've noticed is that if a betta is very skinny and emaciated, they often have swim bladder problems that go away as they put on weight. I couldn't tell from the pic but if Marius is very skinny, his problem may disappear in a few months after he's been well fed for a while.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #15 
NeptunesMom

Awesome, thank you both! He doesn't appear to be abnormally skinny, but then again I am not really sure because he is so dark it's kinda hard to tell. He does use the plant to prop himself up, hes either hiding under it or up in the branches most of the time. I'll pick him up some more plants. I have to go get dog food at PetSmart anyway tonight.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Here's my boy Scooter in his plant. And yeah, that pic is right side up.

I'm glad Marius found a good and loving home with you where he'll get the care he needs. :)
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #17 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post

Here's my boy Scooter in his plant. And yeah, that pic is right side up.

I'm glad Marius found a good and loving home with you where he'll get the care he needs. :)
I don't see the picture. I'd love to see it.

I went and got him two more plants tonight to rest on. They are soft without sharp edges. I got him to eat a bloodworm (woo hoo ) and some daphnia. I also picked him up his own tank cleaner/turkey baster. That way I won't cross contaminate with Neptune or Eponine while I wait to see if he has anything else going on. I wish I could get a good picture of him. I tried with my camera again tonight, but he moves around too quickly and it is too dark. The quick movements are a good sign I think. Although, even swimming on his side in the cup at Wal-Mart he was going to town trying to attack me and show me who was boss.

He reminds me so much of Eponine, who I named because she was a little fighter. I guess Marius works great too as a name since he's a fighter as well. I wonder if it's a CT thing? My HM male Neptune is so laid back, nothing fazes him. Eponine spends her days attacking every imagined enemy/food item in her tank. I've seen Marius attack his reflection a few times as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 AM   #18 
Sakura8

The pic is in my photo albums too, if you go to my profile page.

Sounds good. I sure hope Marius is one of those who recovers but if he doesn't, he'll be one of those who will have a happy life regardless. :)

If you start a sorority, you can have Fantine and Cosette too. Although . . . you do need a minimum of four girls so I guess you'd have to throw in Madame Thenardier too.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #19 
NeptunesMom

Your Scooter is the spitting image of my Marius (except Marius has a little red in his tail)! Such a cutie. He seems to be doing the same thing. He is kinda hopping from plant to plant.

I only have the water about 3" deep. Should I add more? He seems to be handling the 3" depth really well.

Also, do you have any recommendations on how frequently to feed him? I'm still not sure if this is a SBD problem, or physical limitation. He got a few daphnia last night, and then 1 blood worm. Should I continue the daphnia, or add more blood worms? I was thinking of trying another pellet tonight, but breaking it up a bit and putting it in the dropper.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #20 
Sakura8

At this point I would start to phase out the daphnia and give it maybe once a week, especially if he is not constipated. 3" is fine. Any depth of water is fine as long as you can reliably heat it, but of course the less water the more often it will need to be changed.

Do see if he'll eat a pellet as that will provide a more balanced diet with more vitamins than just bloodworms. If not, it is perfectly fine to feed just bloodworms if necessary; that's all Scooter could eat.