Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #1 
LucidSong

Unhappy Gotta love Petland

Saw the saddest thing today as I was walking through my local Petland. 4 obviously once beautiful VT bettas with advanced stages of fin rot sitting in bowls that even a 5 year old child whould have issues getting his fist in. All filled with dirty dingy water. When I finally mannaged to find a free employee of the store it was an old high school friend of mine. WhenI told the girl that her bettas were sick she discounted my claims not once but 4 times saying they weren't sick thier water is just dirty. I so wanted to buy up thier stock but I don't have room for 4 more fish.
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #2 
jadaBlu

Buy them, treat them in gallon critter carriers and advertise on craigslist. Even you don't buy heaters for all of them they will still be treated better in your home.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 
LucidSong

Its not that I wouldn't LOVE to do that but I really don't have any space or money. I just got done setting up a 10g from almost scratch.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

Since you know her maybe you could bring a 2 gallons of declorinated water to the shop laced with a little AQ salt offer to change the water and see if you can persuade her to keep doing some changes.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Luckily, our PetLand closed. It was only open a couple years, but all their puppies kept dying. The media was all over that store, and they did a great job of exposing it. People pretty much boycotted the store. I never saw anyone in the parking lot after that. I never actually went to the store, but it was in one of the busiest areas on the west side of our city.

If I were you I would take pictures of the dirty water. Mail them to the manager with a note (see if you can get maybe some local friends/betta lovers to sign a petition stating they are disturbed by the treatment of the fish). I would also mail a copy of the images to the PetLand corporate office, along with any signatures you get.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #6 
LucidSong

That's a good idea Neptune, I really hadn't thought of that since I was in there for a snail pricing just before heading to work and I don't get off till after they close and with it being a 30 minute drive its a little difficult to find time when I'm here and they are open.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

It's an easy enough thing to fix, I think they would be swayed if they thought enough people cared.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #8 
LucidSong

Yeah. Sadly I live in a pretty rual area where most people are farmers and ranch hands and think fish are silly. The Petland employees don't really care much for any of the fish except for thier more expencive breeds. Those tanks were spotless and the fish looked happy. My petland is more a small furry pet (Hamster, lop eared bunnys, ferrets ect.) and bird store. Thier reptile selection is sorely lacking and they all look pitiful.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 AM   #9 
Ambergrisblue

Saw the same thing at Walmart the other day and it is sickening how they treat their fish. The water was almost opaque.

How come it isn't considered animal abuse. :(
Ambergrisblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:55 AM   #10 
Blue Fish

Oh my gosh, they had PUPPIES dying?! I'm not saying that any animal is more important than another, but typically if you are killing mammals, you've got a big problem on your hands. :(

Sadly, our walmart is the same way, and our petco isn't a whole lot better. :( I was there yesterday to pick up some stuff, and they had several dead bettas rotting in their cups (sorry for the image there), and many more who were sick and probably dying. I felt terrible for them...I just can't take on any more fish...I don't have the time, space, or money to treat them properly. :( It's horrible, and I still feel bad for them. Poor little guys, they never even got a chance. :( I don't know how employees can just ignore stuff like that. Even if you don't know better, you can tell when an animal has died and think that maybe you should do something. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote