Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #1 
btook

Help! Fin chewing and feeding schedules?

I woke up yesterday to find our beautiful doubletail halfmoon betta had huge chunks out of his dorsal fin, and that his fins and tail looked ratty in general... I'm wondering, is he chewing them? They do look as if there's pieces missing. The attached pic shows the damage fairly well.

My next question is... could he be doing it because we're not feeding him enough, or because we're not feeding him on enough of a schedule and so are stressing him out?

He gets 2- 4 New Life Spectrum Betta Formula pellets 2x a day, and twice a week he gets a pinch of soaked, dried daphnia instead of one of the pellet meals. Is this enough for him? He doesn't look fat at all.

Also, feeding him is my daughter's responsibility, and sometimes on weekends she forgets to give him his breakfast until noon. On weekdays he gets fed pretty regulary at 7A and then again around 8P. Could this be stressing him out?

In general he's a huge chowhound- he comes zooming to the front of the tank whenever one of his humans gets near, and just about does backflips until he gets fed.

Also- any advice on healing them? (I do hope they'll grow back!!!) What I'm reading here on this forum stresses time, nice clean water and maybe some of that leaf extract stuff. Anything else?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

btook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi btook. What a handsome fellow.

Who knows why a betta decides to chew his fins off. Sometimes the answer is obvious, like he can see another male (that's my problem with two of my boys in divided tanks) but sometimes it's a mystery. I don't think the change in his feeding schedule should be enough to upset him. I'm very random about feeding my bettas, despite my best efforts.

Some people suggest changing up the decor or putting a ping pong ball in the tank to keep them occupied. But other than that, there is no known way to "cure" fin biting.

For now, the best thing you can do for his fins is keep the water clean and feed him a good high protein diet. NLS pellets are good for that. If you can find Indian Almond leaf or have naturally dried oak leaves then put some of those in his tank to create beneficial tannins. You can also use a product like Attison's Betta Spa but it may be cheaper to just buy a bag of Indian Almond leaves from Amy Ketapang on eBay.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #3 
btook

Thanks for the info! Does it sound as if I'm feeding him enough?
btook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Yup. I'd stick to no more than 5 pellets total a day. It's always better to underfeed than overfeed. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote