Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #1 
oliverjs

Exclamation Problems breeding

I have had fish for a while but a few months ago my friend gave me 1 male and 3 female betta's (he was never good with animals so I don't know why he bought that many females). Well the problem is I want to breed them but I think the male has got so used to being in a tank with 3 females, he is no longer motivated to make bubble nests. I have tried separating the male for a few weeks and then followed the breeding guides, but nothing is still happening? any suggestions?
oliverjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #2 
Myates

Are they all in the same tank together?

What are your breeding plans/goal?

How is your breeding tank set up?

How did/long did you condition them?

Sounds to me as if you placed them all together and expected them to breed.. it takes a while to condition them properly to breed, and even then it's not a guarantee they will breed.

Do you have the live food for the fry?

Do you have the grow out tanks?

How do you plan to separate all the juvenile males and keep them all heated properly?

Do NOT place the male with the females. Be careful with only 3 females together, as they can be just as aggressive as males towards each other.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

*Big sigh*

Well, I'm going to make you a nice long list of the things you are doing wrong.

-Keeping a male and females together. This is extremely stressful for the females and frankly, I am surprised you don't have dead fish by now.

-Im assuming these are common veiltails. Breeding those is a big no-no, there are enough of them dying on the shelves anyways.

-You have obviously not done your research.

-I get the feeling that you don't realize the work you have to put in to breeding these or how many (undesirable veiltail fry) you will have to sell.

- He might not be motivated because of age or health, not getting used to females.

I HIGHLY advise AGAINST breeding until you have done your research and got proper stock/supplies.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #4 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

You shouldn't have the male in with the females in the first place.
Do you have a proper set up?
Is your tanks heated?
How are you conditioning?
If you don't know what these things are you need to do more research also what ail types are your bettas? You should not breed any random fish, they should be high quality.
Please do your research get the proper equipment and you must be providing the best for your fish then you can start buying more breeding equipment,
Hw much money re you willing to invest? It will cost a could hundreds to just get set up
Do you have room for the 300 bettas you could get?
Do ou have time to do water changes for 3 hours every day?
If the answer is no, ae it you should NOT be breeding.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #5 
Myates

300 fish.. 3 hours a day LOL I wish it was that short of a time! For me it's not.. one batch I got minimum 550 fry (counted then stopped after that lol), and it generally takes me easily 5-6 hrs of water changes. But I agree, make sure you know the cost of start up, how much work it is, the water/electric bill increase, and how you are planning on selling all the fish you get - as mentioned, with VTs it may be difficult, you will most likely end up giving them for free to a store if one will take them from you - most won't spend the price of the VT + $35 for shipping on a fish that is worth $3 at a store... sad truth about VTs though :(
Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #6 
Option

Though, let's be honest....for a first time breeder to get 300 fry to survive is simply unheard of.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #7 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Option talk to Myates about that! So not true it has happened!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #8 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

And if people are prepared have everything set up properly and know how to spawn and care for the fish they usually get more then at least 15
Old 03-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #9 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
Option talk to Myates about that! So not true it has happened!
For 300 fry to survive to adulthood, even for the experienced breeder is a monumental achievement. Let alone a first time breeder...
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #10 
Myates

:) It can happen.. normally most do lose a bunch in their first couple of spawns. I guess I just got lucky :) That, and a couple years research on bettas, months research on spawning and 20 yrs of keeping fish happy and healthy :)

First spawn - over 550 fry. Over 6 weeks old, only 3 dead bodies.. all fry healthy, eating lots, swimming great.. if I wasn't culling them I probably could get them all to adult..