Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #1 
Vier

When to separate exactly?

I've got a 7 week old spawn right now and I'm not sure about the exact moment of jarring. At 5 weeks, they would stare each other down and chase... and 5-6 weeks start flaring. Right now I've got a definite boy who is the largest of the bunch flaring at each siblings around him. And I see occasional chasing between the fish but theres no outright attacking/snipping or anything. I'd say 99% of the time, theyre all getting along though.

Vier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #2 
Myates

Once they start fighting/nipping at one another.. they will posture and flare, but once you see them go after another I would jar. 7 weeks is young, but not unheard of to start jarring the aggressive ones then.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Depending on how important their fins are to you. If important, jar as early as possible. Otherwise you can keep them together until adult. Yes, there will be occasional nipping/small fights, but nothing too serious.

Aggression IMO is also triggered by stress. If they are often moved (while water changing or caught to be observed) aggression will start early. But if they aren't stressed, aggression usually begins later.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote