Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #11 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

550!!! Still amazed every time I hear it, all three of my attempted spawns have failed.
But it is not unheard of to get 300 on your first spawn, teaches people the meaning and how much work betta breeding is awfully fast lol
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Actually getting big number of fry is not unheard of. It all depends on how we are willing to rear them. With the "safe" concept applied by you guys, TBH I am surprised that you get spawns below 300.

To the OP; once you have considered the above advises and still want to do this;
1. Isolate the male. NO other bettas in sight - AT ALL. No 1 tank 2 or more bettas with dividers. Total isolation. After a few days of isolation, try to get him to flare. Aggression is one of the keys to breeding. Once he becomes aggressive, he will/should eventually build a bubble nest. But don't worry if he doesn't because some males make nests after eggs are laid. Just make sure he is in breeding mode - flirt swimming.

2. Also isolate the female in the same way. Oh, mass feed them with lots of nutritious food. She should eventually flirt swim too and show breeding bars. Only then can you breed them.

Bettas used to living in sororities may not be aggressive and thus won't breed. Putting 1 male with multiple females too often will not work because the male becomes distracted - not focused on one female . . . unless there is a distinct alfa. I suggest you use 1 on 1 method.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote