Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Need to know how to prevent eccesive egg swelling if you keep females please read!

Penelope is have trouble with swelling up with too many eggs I don't plan to breed her. She is in her own tank but side by side with a male of which her view is blocked by cardboard. She has seen him before. She started this morning skinny but is swelling up again.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80.5
Does your tank have a filter? Sponge-Filter is turned off for the moment since she can't swim well
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air pump
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega and NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 times daily 1 pellet. If I give more with her swelling makes it hard for her to swim. Sometimes I have to wait a day. I don't like doing this I feel like I am starving her.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2 x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and Jungle conditioner with Aloe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:
pH: 7.0
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Alternates between being skinny and swelling up white with what appears to be eggs every 4-5 days. When she swells up she cannot swim normally if she swims downward she floats vertically to the top. She spend her time at the top balancing on float plants. She is managing in that aspect and is not have trouble breathing. She still attempts fairly often to swim down only to float up again.

She is able to pass stool and I see her doing this regularly

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 2 weeks
Have you started treating your fish? Fasting
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure but believe she is young purchased at Petco about March 5th. She is pretty small but has grown bigger in length since I've had her.

I fed her one pellet this morning. She finally got skinny again and is swelling up again. The swelling is definitely white. When she gets skinny the white part which is presumably eggs gets very small.

Recent photo but not from today. She gets bigger than this:

This is Penelope this morning:

http://youtu.be/SwyfqNFnTe8

This is Penelope when she is really swollen you can clearly see at one point in the video the swelling is white like eggs:

http://youtu.be/SnDYQ4pPaQ

The cardboad is normally sitting straight I bumped it.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #2 
Otterfun

ok, my Curious Grace had the same thing this morning, a gigantic silver tummy and a big white spot (slightly swollen but not abnormal IMO) behind it with a tiny white spot hanging from the white area.

I chalked it up to her gobbling up the algae wafer(s), who knows how many, overnight and excreting her unfertilized eggs. I could be wrong though.

I put her in a breeding tank and she has been pooping quite a bit 1" total in bits, in terracotta color and the silver spot has decreased in size. She has not developed SBD yet but is getting close to it, so I will fast her a day or two and see.

Hope yours is fine.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-28-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

I have never had females before, so my advice probably isn't worth much, but maybe fast her for a few days and do an Epsom salt treatment?

In horses and other mammals (I have much more experience here...), parasites can go in spurts like this, where the animal has no symptoms, then a period of symptoms, then back to "normal" but it's not that they don't have the parasites, it's that the parasites have their own lifecycles that alternately affect, then don't outwardly affect, the host.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of any more help...maybe someone who knows more will see this and give you some better information? :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would try a three day fast and Epsom salts at 1 tsp/g.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote