Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #21 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You could always do two spawns! I didn't say bananas spawn would be a complete waste of time, I just think you have to be careful. A good, well formed sister should be fine to breed to him. A 20 should be fine. I don't think you should condition the male in the breeding tank. Conditioning time really depends on your fish.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #22 
Mahsfish

Ok. What I was thinking was breeding the girl to my red male and then breeding one of the fry back to banana. Is this a good plan? So would you recommend condition them now with the blood worms. Or since I've had them for a while and been feeding the regularly with pellets and the female is really thick with eggs them I don't need to condition any further and get the male introduce into the spawning tank and intro the female in a breeding trap tomorrow?
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #23 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would still condition for a week. Pellets are good regular food, but conditioning is more then getting the female eggy. In the wild during springtime (when they spawn) there are large amounts of insects available and so feeding them lots of different frozen or live foods triggers that instinct.

That sounds like a good plan. You could always breed banana to that red girl and cull the eggs down to 20 or something if you are nervous but still want to see what they will produce.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #24 
Mahsfish

Ok. I will hopefully be able to get the breeding tank setup today at least. And then I will start feeding blood worms tonight.

So what I wa going to do was put the male in then breeding tank and condition him, and then when ready do a large water change to clean up any debris and rearrange the tank. Would it be better to have him conditioned in a seperate tank?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #25 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I think it would be better to do it in a separate tank but your plan would probably work.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #26 
Mahsfish

Ok. And it's better to condition the female seperate from the male where they can't see eachother? Or where they see eachother 24/7? Or only a few times for a couple mins a day?
Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #27 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yup. Seperate from each other but exposure for a couple minutes a day. Otherwise they wil get used to each other.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #28 
Jayloo

Here are the rules of breeding you cannot deviate: conditioning- they need fed well with frozen or live food. Breeding- male and female betta. Fry care- need live food and water changes. Heating- needs to be 78-86. All the in-between stuff is personal decisions. What will work best for you. This includes how long to condition, what food to condition with, how long you leave the male and female in together, how long you leave the male after hatching, what size tank, what exact temp, and what food you feed fry.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #29 
logisticsguy

I try to condition by floating the girl in a medium sized clear plastic cheapo cup right in the boys home twice a day for 5-10 minutes. Usually after 5-6 days the pair are ready. Im not saying this is the right way or anything just what works for me. Also try to keep them from seeing any other fish and betta do not like to spawn under bright light from what Ive seen.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 03-29-2013 at 03:03 PM.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #30 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Smaller females can be bred to a much larger male (don't include fins for measurement). I've successfully bred a 6cm male to a 3cm female. Slightly bigger females can be bred as long as she isn't too fat. But much larger females often can't breed properly to smaller males . . . in fact pair of the same size often have difficulty if the female is too fat. I usually keep my breeding females in small containers to stunt their growth. Thus if I ever need to back cross fry to mother, it won't be a problem.

I agree with MattsB, breed to the red male. You can cross fry to Banana later or continue working on reds. If the female carries marble genes, you will have some marbled fry.

Condition the pair separately. IMO your male needs more conditioning than your female. He will need all the energy he can get to rear eggs and fry. Your female is fat enough.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote