slug61

Mid Cycling

Hi,

I'm 5 1/2 weeks in....with Betta
2.5 gallon with filter
80F temp
no real plants or tankmates
Use API liquid test kit.

For the last couple of weeks i have been able to go 1 full week in between water changes till Ammonia reaches .5 (then i do 50% change)
no nitrites
nitrates have been at 5ppm for the last 2 weeks.
however, i last changed water 2 days ago.
checked water today and it was at .5 ammonia already.
0 nitrites and 0 nitrates??
So, i did a 50% water change.
I also use Prime.

Does this mean the cycle is getting closer??? or am I losing the cycle?
Confused?

Last edited by slug61; 04-03-2013 at 10:58 AM.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Small volumes of water are very difficult to cycle & according to your results you're not close, IMO. I've never attempted to cycle my 2.5g because its easier for me to do two water changes each week.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #3 
slug61

Yes, i've heard it is difficult, but i really want to try since once summer is here...we go away a few times for 8 days at a time and i'm worried about no water changes for that long.
Would "tetra safestart" or seachem "stability" help at all?
Its just odd that suddenly after only 2 days the ammonia went up to .5 when i had been able to go 7 days.
is this just due to instability in a small tank?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Honestly, I can't say as I've never tried to cycle a tank that size. I do cycle 5g & larger, I've had them take anywhere from 5 wks to 8 wks to complete a fish IN cycle. I've had 0 nitrites one day, .5 then go back to 0. Sorry I can't give you an exact answer, all I know is that not every cycle is the same & sometimes they do really odd things. You haven't seen any nitrites yet? You can certainly add a bacteria booster, it won't hurt but it doesn't always work.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #5 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Honestly, I can't say as I've never tried to cycle a tank that size. I do cycle 5g & larger, I've had them take anywhere from 5 wks to 8 wks to complete a fish IN cycle. I've had 0 nitrites one day, .5 then go back to 0. Sorry I can't give you an exact answer, all I know is that not every cycle is the same & sometimes they do really odd things. You haven't seen any nitrites yet? You can certainly add a bacteria booster, it won't hurt but it doesn't always work.
Nope, no nitrites ever.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #6 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug61 View Post
Yes, i've heard it is difficult, but i really want to try since once summer is here...we go away a few times for 8 days at a time and i'm worried about no water changes for that long.
Would "tetra safestart" or seachem "stability" help at all?
Its just odd that suddenly after only 2 days the ammonia went up to .5 when i had been able to go 7 days.
is this just due to instability in a small tank?
Yes, what you saw was a mini-cycle. Bacteria colonies will grow on everything including walls, decore, fake plants, and even the gravel/sand. However, the heart of any bacterial colony will be in the filter media. The small filters in 1-3 gallon tanks usually don't have the surface area to hold a bacteria colony large enough to have a stable cycle in 2.5 gallons. That's why it's hard. You can grow the bacteria, but you can't grow enough of the bacteria for a stable cycle.

However, even if you had a 5 gallon + tank, cycling takes time. With my 5 gallon tanks, one tank cycled in 4 1/2 weeks and the other tank need 6 weeks. While it is possible to see a cycle in 5 1/2 weeks, that would still be "fast" for cycling. Also, avoid the stabilizers. Unless the bacteria was stored under proper conditions at all times, you're just pouring dead bacteria into a tank. If the bottle wasn't pulled out of a fridge and used before it warmed to room temp, assume too much of the culture died to be of any use. I don't know why bacteria that thrives in a 78-82 temp tank dies if it isn't stored in the fridge, but it does.

Obviously you aren't going to stop going on vacations because of a pet whether it be cat, dog, or fish. Since you have only had your betta for 5 1/2 weeks, I can't think of any suggestions that will work better than a fish sitter. You can set up a way for someone else to care for them while you are gone. When I studied abroad for 6 months my fish were watched by my Grandma and Mom and when I went on vacation for a week last year my fish were watched by my dad. I will admit that fish sitters are easy for me to find because I come from a family of animal lovers, but it is the best option when leaving fish alone for longer than a weekend.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote