Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2008, 01:31 PM   #1 
girls_interrupted

HELP! Cycling my fish tank isnt going so well!

First of all I would like to ask if a 1.5 gallon tank is ok? I have a nano filter and a heater that is safe for tanks under 2 gallons. My betta is not in the tank yet. I have him in a fish bowl. I change it every 3 to 4 days and suck up the poo everytime i see it to decrease chances of ammonia.
Here is the thing about my cycling issue. I filled up the tank with water. I have gravel and put the filter in with the sponge. Then I put some bamboo to see if I could start the cycling better. The prob is that when I check the nitrite level it was at .5? And it hasnt even been two weeks. The ammonia levels are higher than they should be for the beginning of the cycle. I have no idea how the nitrite came so quickly before the ammonia built up. The ammonia must of been high already less than a day since the starting of the cycle. I've heard something about air stones and something else to create carbon dioxide to help level the ammonia and decrease the nitrite. Like you can make it out of a water bottle. I also apparently have a prob with humitaty. Slowly the water is decreasing how can I prevent that? Or is it ok If I condition some water and put some in there. I have a lid over my tank. It use to not do this. But since I cut out a lil for the nano filter to fit its been doing this. Even though the peice I cut out was just enough to fit the filter in. There are hardly no gaps. Its really fustrating. I really dont know what to do. I know my betta is bored in that fish bowl. Its just a lil under a gallon and it would be best if he was in a better and filters tank.

What should I do or need to do to control the levels for cycling successfully and how do I stop the water from evaporalting even though i have a lid????
girls_interrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #2 
fish_4_all

Okay, first thing, did you put Lucky bamboo in there? If you did take it out! The fertilizers that they use are not gonna be good for your betta. Don't worry about it yet as far as water changes but doing 4-5 of them before adding the betta will dilute and ferts in there enough that it shouldn't hurt the betta once in there. If it is lucky bamboo and oyu want to kepe it in there then do water changes regularly and the ferts might be diliuted enough or maybe even used up by the bamboo by the time you add the betta. I would give it a good month though from today if you do that way.

If it isn't Lucku Bamboo then ignore my speel. lol.

Evaporation is normal. Leave a bucket of water out at room temp and it will be fine to add to the tank to top off any water lost when oyu need to. What little will be added should be room temp and pretty close to the temp of the bettas tank.
fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #3 
girls_interrupted

Well I got the bamboo at petsmart. all it said was bamboo. They keep it in aquariums (underwater). It kinda looks like lucky bamboo. Does lucky bamboo stem curl?
Old 04-19-2008, 01:39 PM   #4 
girls_interrupted

I'm so sick of going to petco and petsmart. They never really seem to know anything. They told me to get bamboo cause it would be better than java fern . They told me to use bamboo cause its better than taking car of java fern. They said it sucks more water out than bamboo and needs more light. I want my betta to be happy. I read in a betta book that they love java fern. The people there dont even know the the names of the plants. I knew i should of come to a betta forum before. I probably would of been able to resolve my probs alot quicker! I am so fustrated and burned out.

A few minutes ago I posted a new topic about the same prob with the cycling. Because I couldnt find this one. But I found it.
I was asking in the other post can someone help me do step by step instructions to do a successful cycling. I have been trying for 2 months. I would like to do with out my fish atleast not until after 3 weeks maybe.

oh and thanks for the evaborating solution tip :)
Old 04-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #5 
Neo

If you have been cycling for that long it should be already if im not mistake, amonia can be raised from uneaten food and stuff like that, not neccesarilly a sign that your tank isnt cycled.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:03 PM   #6 
Neo

and as far as your air stone, in a tank that small its not really good for a betta, makes too much water movement i think, could be one reason your fish is uncomfortable
Old 04-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #7 
Neo

He also needs more room, 2.5 or 5 gallon, 1 gallon would be ok, but you would have to change the water so much it would prevent cycling going well, 25% every day or too is how much water you should change, and dont put too much food as i said can raise amonia
Old 04-19-2008, 02:19 PM   #8 
girls_interrupted

The air stone wouldnt stay in the tank. I am just trying adjust the ammonia level so it can cycle properly. I have started over again with a clean new tank. That has bamboo in it. I havent done the airstone thing yet. The cycling isnt going well cause the nitrite built up sooner than it should of. I do not have the fish in the tank now. My tank is 1.5 gallon. My nano sponge filter has been running since i started to try the cycling. I feel that the bamboo i put in there isnt helping with the ammonia like i wanted it too. I know about changing the water. I just would like to adjust the level of ammonia for two weeks without the nitrite building up when it shouldnt. From my understanding the ammonia should build up for 2 weeks before nitrite or nitrate starts to build up When trying to cycle. Doesnt it take 6 weeks for the cycle to finalize? I know that ammonia feeds on feces and left over food. I dont have any of those right now in the tank because when I started the new cycling process I didnt put the fish in there. I just have bamboo. I am still having the same results as I did when I was first cycling and had the fish in there. The mistake I made last time is that I kept changing the entire water once a week. resulting high levels of ammonia.

My problem now is how can I control my ammonia levels now without the nitrite building up. The nitrite i know should build up to start eating the ammonia after two weeks right? That isnt happening. Should I take the bamboo out and try another plant? How can I control ammonia levels and nitiite so I can cycle successfully?
Old 04-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #9 
Neo

well if ur doing a fishless cycle, like i think you are, trying to cycle it without a fish in it, you should put a little bit of food in it everyday, to feed the bacteria, that might help if that doesnt then i can help any further, im just tryin to pass on what i have learned here, lol, i would suggest asking stephenmontero, or cody, they know ALLOOTTT more than me, but i hope that i have helped somewhat
Old 04-19-2008, 02:22 PM   #10 
girls_interrupted

FYI:
I havent changed 25 % of the water in the tank i am trying to cycle cause it hasnt been 2 weeks. I am changing the "bowl" that is unfiltered where my fish is in every 4-5 days. He is in this bowl till I finish cycling the tank successfully. I'm not risking him to get new tank syndrome.