Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #11 
Neo

o ok, sorry for the mixup, i would suggest asking someone else, because they know all about it, i mustve had the wrong idea the whole time, lol, i think i lost u, lots of people on here know alot, they have helped me so much, the ones i learned the most from like i said are cody and stephenmontero.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #12 
girls_interrupted

ok thank you I will try the food thing. But I was told that lucky bamboo isnt good for bettas. Does lucky bamboo's stem curll? Should I try java fern? I hope I'm not stressing you out. Its just the pet stores i'vew been to have not helped me out at all! one person tells me another thing than another person tell me not to do that.
girls_interrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #13 
girls_interrupted

Its ok thank you. you were just trying to help. I'll ask someone else that you recommend if it doesnt work out. No one has really told me about cycling right at petco or petsmart. It sounds like you know more than them lol
Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #14 
Neo

or ur not worrying me, lol, i would think that jave fern is better, i have heard someone prefer java fern over bamboo here on the forum i think, if i were you i would try that out, just try experimienting with different thinks you know, until you and your fish are happy, and when your fish is happy it will be all worth it, lol
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #15 
Flashygrrl

It's just the ferts that aren't good for Mr. Betta. The bamboo itself is ok.

If you haven't "fed" the cycle it won't start, however I'd like to know where your ammonia is coming from if there's nothing in there. Perhaps from the fertilizers (or dying stuff on the bamboo?)? If so, follow fish_4_alls advice and keep changing the water until everything starts to level out (yes, you will have ammonia and nitrites but those should go away by themselves). And know that there is no set time for a tank to cycle. Some people have it take up to 2 months and some have been able to get theirs to cycle in 10 days, so the statement "I shouldn't have nitrites yet" isn't exactly accurate. But, you need to get those fertilizers out of there first and foremost. 25% a day should do it. Before you start though think about if you can or cannot get a bigger tank for your betta, he will be happier in a bit more room.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #16 
girls_interrupted

ok. bleh i will try all of that. For more info about my probs. The topic about my fish having problems have also started on this subject too. So if it would help to know about my situation I'm sure you will find more info on the other topic i posted not to long ago than this one.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #17 
Blaxicanlatino

\cycling with a betta can cause future problems.

for instance, the betta may not even survive the cycling process. Or he may may not live the average 2 year life due to beingpoisonedd by all the ammonia and nitrite. I heard they can even go blind!!!

but these are merepossibilitiess. Hope things work out!!! 8)
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #18 
okiemavis

Well, seeing as the betta is currently in a 1g bowl with no filter (which cannot cycle), this is a better alternative. I do agree that cycling without any fish is generally recommended, but in this case it is in the best interest of the fish to be moved to the new tank.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote