Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #1 
Jexx

Changing out decorations in the tank

I know this falls under habitat but there are more ppl viewing this section so I am posting here :)

I have new decor (new larger silk plants) for my fish tanks. I have never changed their decor before so I am not sure what to do.

Should I remove the fish while replacing and rearranging their decor?

Should I leave them in and just work around them?

What do I do?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

You've really got to be the judge of that. If you think it will stress them out more than cupping them, due to water disturbance and kicking up dirt, then cup them. If not, leave them in. :) I'm sorry, I know it's not that helpful! But you know your tank and your fish better than us. :)

I *usually* leave mine in if I'm just changing decor rather than re-planting, but my tanks are a super-long 5 gallon and a 16 gallon, so I have a lot of room to work with.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #3 
Jexx

hmmm they are both in 5 gallon tanks. i'm sure cupping them would stress them out since they've never had to be cupped other than once or twice in their lives... moving everything around will surely kick up dirt and debris, this won't hurt them will it? also, I got the plants from your friend at acumen aquatics :)
Old 03-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

I usually just move decor around with the fish inside. IT's some nice owner-fish interaction, and a lot of times I play with them in the process to make sure they don't stress out. My favorite game is tag :)

But I often have to work slowly when removing decor so the water doesn't slosh and move everywhere.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

My fish don't mind me reaching in and moving stuff around, as long as I don't bump them. I accidentally bumped my male fish one time and we both freaked out. Totally unexpected for both of us, I think, and he hid from me for about a day, but he warmed up to me again. Gotta love the feeder person. :)

They usually just stay out of the way though, and when they do come close, I just wait until they swim away.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #6 
Jexx

hmmm i never thought of it as fish-human interaction! that explains why they enjoy water changes so much well other than the fact that they get clean water lol
Old 03-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexx View Post
hmmm they are both in 5 gallon tanks. i'm sure cupping them would stress them out since they've never had to be cupped other than once or twice in their lives... moving everything around will surely kick up dirt and debris, this won't hurt them will it? also, I got the plants from your friend at acumen aquatics :)
Hey, that's awesome! I love those plants so much, and so does my boy Odysseus. I think you'll be very happy with them! Pictures please! :D

None of my fish have ever been bothered by the debris floating around during re-arranging. Some of the more curious fish will take a nip at floating stuff, but mostly they'll ignore it. I've never seen any evidence of them suffering from it.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #8 
Polkadot

Whenever I change the silk plants & decorations around I leave my little boys in their tanks too.I just move very slowly and push the new plants etc into the gravel.They are very curious and like swimming around watching what I'm doing.I find that leaving them in is alot less stressful than taking them out.Plus you have really good sized tanks so I think they will be fine to stay in while you change things around.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #9 
Jexx

Here it is!! My fish are soo happy! I never see Galileo out and about like this.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #10 
shellieca

I like to switch things up in the tanks from time to time because I think its good for the Bettas. Some of mine get a little annoyed at first but then explore around. Your tank looks good.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote