Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #1 
Parthy

Newer owner. Lots of questions

Hello there! :) I was browsing petsmart, and I impulsively bought my little guy named Triton, along with a "1 gallon betta tank." With LEDs etc.. Since he was an impulse buy, I hadn't done any research. So I made the mistake of buying him a small home. I just recently bought a bare 10 gallon tank, and I want to make him a nice planted tank to live in. But my questions are as follows.

Where do I start when it comes to making a nice planted tank, when it comes to the types if plants that are good for betta tanks. I have done a lot of research but I'd like to hear your opinions. Also, is Eco-complete black a good substrate for planted betta tanks? I also have filtration questions. I want to have him on the ten gallon tank, planted, and a small school of tetras, around 6 of them. What filter can I get that will be able to handle the bio load, but not stress Triton out with a heavy current? I was thinking of going the sponge filter route, but I'm worried it won't be able to handle the amount of fish waste being produced.

Here is the best photo of triton I have/
Attached Images

Parthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #2 
Parthy

That image is about a week old, maybe a day or two after I got him in the tank. His colors are a little more vibrant now.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #3 
Parthy

Anyone have any input? Tldr I have a new-ish betta, need advice on a filter for a 10 gallon tank, that I want to keep him and 6 tetras in. I plan on planting this tank, so I would also like advice on substrate and plants. I'm not afraid to spend some extra money for good stuff for my little guy.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #4 
ollief9

Eco complete would be fine for a planted tank but you don't really need it - you can still get plants to grow with simple gravel or sand. You will need a good plant treatment for the tank and I recommend Seachem Flourish Excel. You also need good lighting for your aquarium - what lights do you have in there at the moment?

In terms of filtration, it would be a good idea to get a filter with an adjustable flow rate. Then, you could still have decent filtration but without the strong current.

I don't have much experience with aquatic plants but I have personally found Vallisneria, Cryptocorynes and Anacharis easy to grow. There are other members on here who can make better suggestions.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #5 
registereduser

You might want to ask this (or have a mod move this) to the Planted Tank forum .
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #6 
shellieca

All of my tanks have gravel substrate & my plants grow fine. I haven't gotten fancy with the lighting. I have amazon swords, java fern, anachris, banana plants & some that I don't remember the names of. Filter wise, I've switched all my 10g & smaller tanks to sponge filters. There are mixed opinions of tetras in a 10g, personally I prefer no other fish with my males in their 10g tanks, they each have a mystery snail & 2 of the 10g tanks also have nerite snails. Make sure you read about cycling a tank so you can keep him healthy in a newly set up tank. You'll want to purchase a liquid water test kit like the API Freshwater complete test kit, its cheaper online at Amazon than in your local store. Get a gravel/vac & 2 buckets; 1 for new water & 1 for used tank water. Also get a good water conditioner such as Prime & don't forget an adjustable heater & in tank thermometer. Good luck & keep asking questions.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #7 
alwaysaBettaLover

I have spent months researching betta fish, and yet I am still learning much...your using the 10 gallon right? If so, I would be careful with putting males in a tank with other fish. He might just be cool with it, or get aggressive. Be sure to monitor all the fins of all the other fish. They might be fighting when you aren't looking. Another thing -just a quick tip- be sure to change out the filter cartridge every month, and with a tank that size, I recommend getting a snail or two, or a ghost shrimp. But it all comes down to the fish's personality. If he's cool with it all then fun! But if not, don't force him to continue to live In an environment he doesn't like.
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:21 AM   #8 
shellieca

I completely, but respectfully disagree with "changing the filter cartridge every month". That is costly & unnecessary & can throw the tank into a mini cycle. Change the cartridge out for sponge, lasts practically forever, just gently squeeze it in used tank water every couple of weeks when you do a water change.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #9 
Agility4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthy View Post
Anyone have any input? Tldr I have a new-ish betta, need advice on a filter for a 10 gallon tank, that I want to keep him and 6 tetras in. I plan on planting this tank, so I would also like advice on substrate and plants. I'm not afraid to spend some extra money for good stuff for my little guy.
Hi Parthy!

Check out the Planted Betta Tank thread for loads of really good info on the what/how of planted tanks.

Your betta is really pretty.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #10 
ollief9

Quote:
I completely, but respectfully disagree with "changing the filter cartridge every month". That is costly & unnecessary & can throw the tank into a mini cycle. Change the cartridge out for sponge, lasts practically forever, just gently squeeze it in used tank water every couple of weeks when you do a water change.
I agree, this is costly and often detrimental to the balance of the tank.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote