Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

First time sorority...size question?

Okay, I did it...the girls were on sale at petco, and I got five. I've read the sorority sticky, and I've got tons of silk plants and lots of hiding places for them...it's just a matter of getting everyone quarantined so that they can go into the big tank when they're ready. :)

Now, my question, I've got a 10g, a 20g, and a 30g. With five females, most about mid-sized, which tank should they go into? They've got a 20-30g filter ready for them (being running it in an established tank, so it's ready for the cycle to start) so filtration is not an issue, and I've got appropriately sized heaters as well.

Also, I believe I've got enough leftover silk plants that I can densely cover any of the sizes with no trouble.

I read on the sticky that it was actually better to overpopulate a tank with females because it lead to less bickering and in-fighting...and I know the general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish to each gallon of water...so the ten is technically plenty big enough for them, but would they possibly be happier in something a little bigger?

I've never done this before, so I'll leave off and listen to the experts! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #2 
jesssan2442

I've never had a sorority but I have researched them and I've heard the bigger the better.. also if you put them in the 20 or 30 you could get more girls or another type of community fish
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #3 
PetMania

If you just want the females, put them in the 10g. With females, it is supposed to be a little overcrowded, but not much.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote