Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #1 
KatelynPatricia

Arrow Planning to buy a fishie

Hey guys! I am new to Bettafish.com and after seeing all of the amazing fishies and outstanding tanks, I have decided to get a betta of my own. I have previously owned about 3 bettas, but none of them were well cared for. I ended up giving them to friends or selling them. My new fish is going to live in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a decent size bubbler. The theme of his/her tank is going to be the beach. I have already picked out the substrate and tank ornaments, but I havent found my betta yet. I am going to buy a baby betta from PETCO soon, but I have a few questions before I buy.
1) Do baby bettas need any special attention or care that differs from your stardard pet store-size betta?
2) How can you tell what gender or type of betta fish it is as a baby?
3) Is there anything I need to look for when purchasing a baby betta?
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS!!!
Anyways, I have picked out some names that I absolutely love, but I need help choosing from the few I have.
BOYS: Fernando, Fonzie, Houdini, and Mourice
GIRLS: Cleopatra, Lotti, Sissy, Talullah, Ursula, Velma, and Wanda
THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME CHOOSE THE TOP 2 NAMES!!!
I will be checking the comments whenever I have the chance, and posting many updates depending on what happens. Thank you so much guys! I can't wait to bring my little buddy home!
KatelynPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynPatricia View Post
Hey guys! I am new to Bettafish.com and after seeing all of the amazing fishies and outstanding tanks, I have decided to get a betta of my own. I have previously owned about 3 bettas, but none of them were well cared for. I ended up giving them to friends or selling them. My new fish is going to live in a 2.5 gallon aquarium with a decent size bubbler. The theme of his/her tank is going to be the beach. I have already picked out the substrate and tank ornaments, but I havent found my betta yet. I am going to buy a baby betta from PETCO soon, but I have a few questions before I buy.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! We all make mistakes, so don't feel too bad! :) These fish have a very special organ. It's called the labyrinth. That means bettas can breath air from the water's surface. So you don't really need a bubbler. You can still keep it, but just make sure the flow is soft.

1) Do baby bettas need any special attention or care that differs from your stardard pet store-size betta?

Babies (known as fry) need higher amounts of protein and a higher temperature. Feed the baby frozen foods such as brine shrimp or bloodworms every other day. Just a little amount that can make him a little chubby, but not too fat. Feed him New Life Spectrum Betta Formula or New Life Spectrum Grow as staple. The temperature should be 80F-82F. 80F at the minimum, use an adjustable heater. :)

2) How can you tell what gender or type of betta fish it is as a baby?

You can't tell just yet. But if the ventrals are already longer than his anal fin, it's most likely a boy.

3) Is there anything I need to look for when purchasing a baby betta?

For a first timer on babies, get a healthy one. There are hardly any healthy ones but get ones that are more active than others and there are no visible problems. Don't get any fat ones either, or one that's too skittish.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS!!!
Anyways, I have picked out some names that I absolutely love, but I need help choosing from the few I have.
BOYS: Fernando, Fonzie, Houdini, and Mourice
GIRLS: Cleopatra, Lotti, Sissy, Talullah, Ursula, Velma, and Wanda

I like Fonzie and Ursula. :D

THANK YOU FOR HELPING ME CHOOSE THE TOP 2 NAMES!!!
I will be checking the comments whenever I have the chance, and posting many updates depending on what happens. Thank you so much guys! I can't wait to bring my little buddy home!

Good luck! Post anymore questions if you have any. You know when to do water changes and cycling? Link and Link.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #3 
SamJustice

I also like Fonzie, but I'd shorten Cleopatra to Cleo.

never had a baby myself, always felt that I couldn't handle it. But, I believe Lebron covered it pretty well. xD
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #4 
homegrown terror

lebron covered just about everything. the only other thing i can suggest is if you feed him/her pellet or flake food, you need to crush it into almost a powder so the little guy can get it in his mouth.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #5 
KatelynPatricia

Hearing all of your comments, I have decided I am not going to purchase a baby. I am going to go for one of the smaller grown-up bettas instead. As for the type, what should I go for? Thanks again for all of the responses!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:01 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, alright. It's your choice.
You mean the tail type? It doesn't matter IMHO. Just go for the betta that you have a "connection" with. Long-finned bettas are usually more slow than short-finned bettas, however.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #7 
KatelynPatricia

YES, I do mean tail type. I really don't like the Veil Tails or the Crown Tails. Can you help me choose? I want something beautiful and exotic, but not over-kill.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Double tails are pretty exotic. Hmpk and females are more active.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #9 
SamJustice

Yeah. When I get a betta, I don't buy based on color or tails or whatever. I go buy the one that just seems to say "Take me Home. You Are My Human."
That's how I ended up with Rev, my former yellow multi colored.
Also how my little sister ended up with her Jonnie (that I take care of). I seen him and just HAD to have him. She seen him and was all "he's pretty." she wanted a "nemo-fish" but I don't have a saltwater set up, so she had to settle. Lol
My Raph was just this fish that had been in the store for the longest, and while he wasn't happy, his only issue was some finrot. Was hard to get rid of too. His tail also grew back a bit deformed. ;-; But he's still my buddy. xD

I'm personally a fan of veiltails and rosetails, but rose tails are pretty much never in stores. xD
I just like the long tails, but if it calls my name, I'll buy nigh anything. xD

Yeah, the longer the fins, the slower they are. Jonnie's fins aren't as long as Raph's and he's much quicker. Raph's got a really long tail. xD

EDIT:
Buying a pet just for looks, IMO, is like marrying a jerk just because he's got a flashy car.
The looks might not stay forever (Raph even went through a minor color change since I've gotten him, as did Rev when he was still alive), just like that car will get replaced.
I'm of the mind that you should have some sort of connection to your animals, finned or furred or feathered or scaled.

Last edited by SamJustice; 03-30-2013 at 04:14 PM.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #10 
KatelynPatricia

I think that is what I will go for! Thank you so much!

Tags
baby betta, betta names, getting new betta, need help, tank and tank care