Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

Ideas on a spawn...

I have 1 PK EE male, Butch.
I have 2 PK EE females; Mist and Lace.

Butch was a Petco buy- he was the 1st one I saw that was his color, but since I bought him (last October) he's on the Petco website as the EE that's available for purchase! Lace & Mist were bought on Aquabid.

Bad pic of Lace and Butch:

Lace has a black face, blue body & white pecs & fin edges.
Mist is white w/ pale blue fins. I'll try to get her pic. She's a busy fish!

Just throwing it out there! Are EE's popular enough to sell?

Opinions. please- before I put my spawn tank in the garage.
Attached Images

Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ees are very popular to sell. Sena Hansler did a survey in my area and people were practically begging for them. Not much is known about the gene but it is very recessive. Good luck!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #3 
Myates

They both look like males to me.. you'll get a mix of colors between them, blues, salamanders and a mix of both. EEs are popular, so it would be a good breeding plan :) EEs are one of my 2 main lines I am working on.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #4 
Xaltd1

Everyone who has seen Lace says she's a male! She's been living in a sorority for 3 months w/ no problem & no babies!

Please explain "salamander" to me. I've looked it up, but still don't understand. There is a "cobra OHM" for sale on AQ- what is that?? I also have an orange girl I bought as a "Super HM"???
Old 03-29-2013, 01:49 AM   #5 
Xaltd1

Here's lovely Mist; a pastel EE with Lace lurking in the background).
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 02:52 AM   #6 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
Everyone who has seen Lace says she's a male! She's been living in a sorority for 3 months w/ no problem & no babies!

Please explain "salamander" to me. I've looked it up, but still don't understand. There is a "cobra OHM" for sale on AQ- what is that?? I also have an orange girl I bought as a "Super HM"???
LOL, welcome to the world of confusing terms :), especially when it comes to what sellers use in aquabid...As far as I know, Salamander/Lavender/Flower usually describe fish with thick white/bluish pattern on the edge of all fins and lips, usually with "red" head, and green/blue/purple body and first "half" of the fins.
The way I see it, those guys who sell on aquabid are just trying to "attract" potential buyers to "have a look" on their fishes with "weird/unique" names, I remember once, there was something like "Super Black King CT Show Quality bla bla bla", but then it was just a regular "Black Cooper" CT, with split rays ( not even a king/crossrays ) and definitely not a show quality for me LOL.
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:02 AM   #7 
Jayloo

Cute. I've never bred an EE but I have a male... Ill eventually spawn him but I'm trying to find a female who has similar traits. I say pair them up. Or breed to Lace first and Mist second. :) good luck Xaltd1.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #8 
Myates

Okay.. if that is Lace in the background, then yeah a female lol.. that first picture of her isn't flattering :P

Salamander is just a coloring scheme as caissacrowntails explained- common with EEs (one of my pairs) -
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:18 AM   #9 
Option

The term salamander seems to have been used almost interchangably with the term butterfly. Although the two terms are not synonymous.

The original definition of 'salamander' was used for the red-purple colors that originated from mustard gas outcrosses....after the original mustard gas breeder became upset with other breeders using the MG term. So they called these outcrosses 'salamander' instead.

I believe 'butterfly' on the otherhand is when there are 2 or 3 distinct (NOT bled into each other) bands of colors that are uniform over the dorsal, tail, anal, and ventral fins. Pectoral fins are not necessarily included but IMO it looks even more impressive when they are. Usually the pectoral fin butterfly pattern only comes out when the EE recessive trait manifests.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #10 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
The term salamander seems to have been used almost interchangably with the term butterfly. Although the two terms are not synonymous.

The original definition of 'salamander' was used for the red-purple colors that originated from mustard gas outcrosses....after the original mustard gas breeder became upset with other breeders using the MG term. So they called these outcrosses 'salamander' instead.

I believe 'butterfly' on the otherhand is when there are 2 or 3 distinct (NOT bled into each other) bands of colors that are uniform over the dorsal, tail, anal, and ventral fins. Pectoral fins are not necessarily included but IMO it looks even more impressive when they are. Usually the pectoral fin butterfly pattern only comes out when the EE recessive trait manifests.
yeap, that definitely "confirm" my confusion :P, same like with mustard gas, nowadays..it's like...what's the colors? blue and yellow? Oh it's a Mustard Gas LOL purple body with white stripe on the fins? oh it's a lavender/salamander. Even the original Black Orchid is not the same with those "Black Orchid" on aquabid :D
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote