Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #1 
alm1920

I have a m & fm in 1 tank and it's divided in the middle

on the males side there are tiny little bubbles at the top of the tank, what are they and should i be worried?
alm1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #2 
Cody

Bubble nest. Perfectly normal. It means he is normal and potentially wants to mate. Put, do not put the female with him unless you know the in's and out's of the whole betta breeding thing. It can be a complicated process.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #3 
herefishy
Banned

Why don't you explain "the ins and outs of the the whole betta breeding thing", Cody? Don't leave the answer to the question hanging in the air and the OP dieing of suspense.
herefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #4 
alm1920

thanks
alm1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:29 AM   #5 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefishy
Why don't you explain "the ins and outs of the the whole betta breeding thing", Cody? Don't leave the answer to the question hanging in the air and the OP dieing of suspense.
All right, I'm on this. I remember posting it on another thread; I will go find it.

Edit:
The biggest concern is getting the female ready to breed. To get both "parents" ready, have the temperature around 80 degrees constantly, and have the water level dropped in each tank a few inches for at least 3-4 weeks. Feed them very well (blood worms, pellets, etc) for the weeks. The female should begin showing vetical bars, whcih means she is ready to breed. This is where you can start.

Divide the male's tank in half, with him on one side. Dont run a filter, or if you do, a sponge-filter set very low. Adding flotaing live plants helps as well. The water level should be around 3", no more than 5". The male should have a bubble nest built.

Add the female to the other side. If she wants to breed, she will try to get over to the male, flare a bit, and show the vertical bars. After a certian time period, take the divider out. The male and female should chase each other for a bit, and then intertwine. The female will release the eggs, and the male will bring it up to his bubble nest. This will go on for anywhere from 10 minutes to 3 hours, sometimes more. After they are done, remove the female.

The male will protect the eggs and place them in the nest when they fall out. When they hatch, he will still take care of them for a few days. When the fry are free swimming, then you remove the male.

You can have the sponge filter on now. You can feed the fry baby brine shrimp, then smal frozen food, then eventually graduating to flake food.

As they mature, you will eventually have to remove all the males into individual containers. This is where you can try to sell some, and keep who you want.

Good luck!
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote