Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #11 
Neo

ok so put some of the babies in the community tank and leave some in with the female?
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #12 
stephenmontero

yea cause ur gunna have well maybe about 100 babies so u need to make sure that u dont have so many so u have to make sure some of them dont make it
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:36 PM   #13 
It'sJames

First of all, do you have something to do with the resulting babies? You'll need several live cultures to feed them, a rearing tank, and containers for all the males once they begin to fight. Put the female into the male's tank only after he's made a bubble nest and she's begun to show vertical striping. You'll have to let them see one another for a bit (but keeping them seperated) before they'll be ready to spawn - in most cases. It can take anywhere from an hour to 2 days before they begin to spawn. It's absolutely necessary to have places for the female to hide in the spawning tank, and keep an eye on the two. I've had males who've made their bubble nest, and the female showed striping, but when i put them together, the male tore her to shreds. Remove the female immediatly after they've finished spawning, and leave the male with the eggs. The male will guard the nest and keep the eggs from falling out.

The best setup for spawning and rearing the babies would be a 10 gallon tank with a sponge filter and heater. I don't like to use substrate in the spawning/rearing tank. A breeding net will not be big enough. And you won't want to move newly hatched babies, so you would have to spawn them where you're planning on raising them. I would definatly not attempt it in a breeding net.
It'sJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #14 
Flashygrrl

OK, Neo. You have a 10 gallon tank, correct? Just this once I'm gonna take the 1 inch=1 gallon rule and run with it:

Red tailed shark: Approx 4-5 inches
Danios=Generally 2 inches a piece, plus need space to swim like mad
Platy=2 inches
Betta=Approx 3 inches

So, you have 16 inches in a 10 gallon tank, tack on a few extra inches for the danios and I'd say about 20. What do you think the general consensus would be about this particular situation?

Veeeeerrrrrry overstocked. Sometimes you just can't have the fish you want and it sucks, no doubt. But you just aren't doing them any favors by making them live like this. I went to the cool LFS in Grand Rapids today, saw 4 different fish I want. Didn't come back with them because I couldn't yet. Trust me, I whined like a baby to the hubby.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #15 
briggadane

Bettas etc

Neo,you know I have bettas,and you know i've just bred them. Please go look at the fish breeding section for Bettas. DO NOT but male and female together right away. And DONT take away dad right away either. The info is there. Read a few of my past posts. ITs not hard, if you know what order to do things in.

And yes, you are now way overstocked.
briggadane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #16 
Neo

OK no more fish, until i get a bigger tank, and i wont breed them because i have no room for the offspring, srry i overstocked the tank...begginers mistake, but i will deffinitly hold off on anymore fish until i get my 40 gallon i want
Old 04-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #17 
Flashygrrl

Uhhh, you should look into getting rid of at least the RTBS and the danios (like I said already) unless the 40 gallon is in next weeks plans.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #18 
Neo

could be im going to look at it 2morrow, so fingers crossed
Old 04-21-2008, 05:40 PM   #19 
Flashygrrl

Great :) *crosses fingers and a couple toes*
Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #20 
missfish1996

This whole betta breeding thing sounds so amazing the miracle of life there should be sticky on breeding though right?
missfish1996 is offline   Reply With Quote