Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #11 
Neo

i put superman in his tank while it was cycling, he acted perfectly fine, all happy, im sure he was smiling, just cant tell do to the underbite, need to find a fishie dentist, lol, but shortly after got 3 zebra danios, 1 platy, and a red tailed black shark, which is overstocked but r all fine, i also have a female betta that is in a 2.5 gallon which was cycling for a couple of days before i put her in, and she is fine, i dont want u to lose ur fish, in the end u have to make the choices, but i put them in and it worked for me.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:07 PM   #12 
girls_interrupted

Oh I know about the cycling process now. I have another post about that. I know it takes at least 6 wks to cycle. To get ammonia nitrite and nitrate under control. The ammonia has to build up for 2 weeks, Then the nitrite builds up eating the ammonia. Then the nitrate builds up eating the nitrite. Am I right so far? But all of the bacteria has to be at certain levels. Which I am having trouble now. Its been a week and the ammonia is a lil higher and the nirite is already built up and it hasnt even been two weeks. I havent even changed the 20% of the water yet. I have bamboo in there that I thought would help build the ammonia up because someone suggested that to cycle the water with out the fish in it. I have yet to try the food idea. Putting a few pellets in to do it.

Thats why I asked can someone help me walk through the cycling process on the other post because I have no idea what do anymore.
girls_interrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #13 
girls_interrupted

Oh I will make the choices. I'm just new at this forum thing. I just want to do the cycling right this time. The ammonia levels were exremely high the last time Itried to cycle. Nothing was going right and it was bad for my fish. So thats why he is in that stupid 1 gallon bowl
Old 04-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #14 
Neo

i kno how it is to be new and confused and want to make it perfect, lol i am new, lol, kinda, but i mean i would put Mr. Miagi in while it is cycling, that is a cool fish name by the way.....but not cooler than SUPERMAN!!!, lol
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #15 
okiemavis

Yeah, your bowl is going to run into the same problems as the tank you are cycling. You're going to very quickly build up ammonia in the bowl, so you might as well put the betta in the tank, and just make sure to keep up with water testing and frequent changes.

As for your issues with Petco/Petsmart, I've always found the same thing with big chain stores. Fortunately, there are good fish stores out there. I'd recommend finding the website for your local aquarium society. Most of them will have reviews and such of the stores in the area, which will help you find the best one. A store employee should never replace careful research and planning, but there are stores with knowledgeable, experienced people to help you along.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #16 
girls_interrupted

Thank you so much for that info.

But the thing is for the 1.5 tank the bacteria levels are way off what they should be for the cycling process how can I get rid of the nitrite until the 2 weeks are up and decrease the ammonia right now to the level it should be for the cycling process. Is there a forum on how do do that on here and how to properly cycle. and how to control the levels of the bacteria so I can cycle successfully?
Old 04-20-2008, 02:18 PM   #17 
okiemavis

The best way to control those levels is water changes. It will dilute the water, and therefore the ammonia and nitrites.

Could you post the water parameters for your new tank and the current bowl so we can compare them?
Old 04-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #18 
girls_interrupted

oh and what about the bamboo. I really wanted to put java fern in my tank but they suckered me in to buying bamboo. I know bettas prefer java fern. Thanks for the compliment neo. Ok before i put him back in the 1.5 gallon tank. I want to make sure to know what I am doing. How to control the levels of bacteria so they don't get to high that they start poisoning the fish. I'm going to get some better test kits for nitrite and and ammonia and nitrate. they seem to be more accurate. Hopefully when I get the cycling done. Then a while later I can find a better bigger tank and cycle that tank before putting the betta in it.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #19 
girls_interrupted

ok I will do that. Whats the best test kit to get so I can write down the exact level number. instead of just getting results of colors from the test kit.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #20 
okiemavis

The gold standard is API Master Test Kit.

There are other brands out there, and they may seem cheaper, but they don't last as long, aren't as accurate and don't test for as many things. The API kit will last forever and is totally worth it. You LFS will sell it for around $25, although I've found it for $15 online.

Are you using strip tests right now? They can be very inaccurate and may account for why you are having trouble cycling.