Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #21 
girls_interrupted

For 1 gallon bowl (unfiltered) :Nirite 1 ppm; nitrate 20ppm: ammonia .25 ppm

for 1.5 tank (filtered) : Nitrite .5 ppm: nitrate 0; Ammonia less than .25 ppm
Its only been 5 days for the 1.5 tank to get this result

Just a thought i think the bambo might be absorbing the water. Or the water just might be evaporating even though i have a cover on it.
girls_interrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #22 
girls_interrupted

yeah I know about the test strips. I have the api ammonia test kit now. The nitrite and nitrate are the test strips. I really hate them. petsmart and petco are very limited. Hopefully i will be able to find a fish store
Old 04-20-2008, 02:57 PM   #23 
girls_interrupted

What can I use to put the fish in when transporting him into the 1.5 tank. a ziplock??? I would like something to put him in to equalize the tempature (to float in the water) before I put him in the fish tank.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #24 
okiemavis

Um yes, that's an interesting issue, isn't it? Generally I'd recommend slowly adding water from the new tank into the old one, but then your new one will be almost out of water. I'd just use a small cup/Tupperware like the kind bettas are stored in at the fish store. Just make sure there's no soap residue on the cup you use.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #25 
girls_interrupted

What about my ammonia levels and nitrite and nitrate levels? What can i do to bring then under control again? Its only been a week for the 1.5 tank to have those bacteria test levelss
Old 04-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #26 
okiemavis

Just keep doing water changes. It will take out part of the nitrite/nitrates and dilute what is left.

Another way to speed up the cycling is to "seed" from another tank. If you know someone who has an established tank, borrow a decoration, or some gravel from the tank. Just make sure to keep it wet during transport.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #27 
girls_interrupted

well I know someone that I could get some gravel from with an established tank. But that would be possible only tomorrow. Now just to make sure. When should I do the 20% water change in the tank? now or wait out until its been two weeks?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:31 PM   #28 
Flashygrrl

Do one now, then every time your ammonia gets near .25 ppm or your nitrites creep up. Yeah, you're most likely going to have trouble keeping that tank clean cuz it's so small. Do you think you managed to get all the fertilizers out of the bamboo (very important)?

Oh, and I'm kinda shocked that your local stores don't have Mini-Bow tanks in the 2.5g and the 5g varieties. They like to sell those and then get you to cram as many fish in as possible. Just get one of those screw in mini-compact bulbs to replace the incandescent since they last longer and don't heat up the water.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:31 AM   #29 
Blaxicanlatino

since its a 1 gallon bowl, its not goin to cycle. just do regular water changes. I never trust employees unless I know for sure that they know what da heck their talkin about; I once went to petco and the guy told me that I should take my betta out of his 10 gallon tank and leave him in a small cup. " He wouldnt care," he said " you can leave under your bed for months and he wouldnt care"

although, the incadescent lights do make good heaters but you cant grow any live plants with it
Blaxicanlatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #30 
Neo

i have a live plant inside of my 10 gallon with an incandecent light at it grows more every day
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote