Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #1 
dancersmama79

female betta wit swim bladder???

I've had a female betta sorority of 3 for nearly 6 months or so in a 20 gal tank with snails and they have been doing fine with water changes and such... One of my bettas today during a normal water change i noticed she was breathing heavy and noticed a significant bulge near her midsection and she seems to be laying on her side more and to the bottom of the tank... from what ive read this seems to be swim bladder or constipation??? shes still active and playing with her sorority sisters but at times wants to be alone. i have pictures can anyone confirm this and give any advice on what to do for her???? Ive not dealt with swim bladder before should i quarintine her from the others?? any and all suggestions would be much appreciated!! thankyou!!

Amy
Attached Images

dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #2 
PetMania

It does look like swim bladder disease. Swim bladder disease is not contagious, so you will not need to treat the whole tank. You may want to fast her for 2-3 days. Put her in a tank by herself so you know that she is not eating along with the other fish. NEVER feed bettas peas. This could damage their digestive system from what I hear. She'll be fine. It is not fatal as long as it is treated properly.
It could also be from overfeeding. Or it could be the wrong food for her. Good luck!
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #3 
PetMania

Also, that water seems a little cloudy. is there a filter? A filter can help with the healing so she has clean water.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #4 
dancersmama79

I have 2 filters running in the 20 gal tank. i have quarantined her into a 1 gal tank with a filter and heater.... i regularly feed my bettas BettaMin and also drop algae wafers in for the snails and the fish eat those too. Ive read those are good for helping relieve constipation in bettas. I also occasionally feed them freeze dried bloodworms....
Old 03-30-2013, 12:29 AM   #5 
dancersmama79

ive been keeping her water clean all day not feeding her since the water change when i noticed her condition and with bout half a gal of water in a gal tank with no filter and a heater to keep her water at 78 degrees. Shes had one BM other than that shes breathing heavy and her sides seem to be "pineconed" out from the bloating in her belly. She also seems to have a yelowish color to her when her color is normally white with pinkish fins

Last edited by dancersmama79; 03-30-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hi... Pineconing is, well, not a particularly good sign....

Do you notice condensation on the sides of the tank? If not, cover the top with plastic wrap. This will increase humidity, and help her breathe.

Do you have any Epsom salt? If so, here is a quote from Oldfishlady regarding Epsom salt treatment. She was replying to another person whose betta had a similar issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady
I would get him in a small bare QT container and float it in a heated tank to maintain temp in the 76-78F range-Cover the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ and start an Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) and tannin treatment.

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-Either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30min-Shake well before use...

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today.
He needs to stay in the covered QT-in the treatment water for the duration of the treatment period of 14 days.

Tomorrow-using the treatment water make 50% water changes every other day to complete the duration.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #7 
dancersmama79

ive heard of epsom salt baths for bettas but never tried it before. Ive never had a betta this gorged from constipation or swim bladder before. usually i stop feeding for a couple days and that does the trick. but this one seems to have gone and eaten evrything in site and gotten herself in a pickle. Ive given mine frozen pea before and occasional bloodworms and mostly they get BettaMin flakes.

These pictures were just taken of how she looks today
Attached Images

Last edited by dancersmama79; 03-30-2013 at 09:06 AM. Reason: forgot to add pictures
Old 03-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #8 
dancersmama79

typically how long do u keep a betta in a epsom salt bath? mine seems to be more active and lively in hers and it seems to be helping....
Old 03-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #9 
PetMania

Hmm. It seems like it is getting worse. Have you fasted her for 3-4 days? It looks like a stage of dropsy IMO, but I could be wrong. Swim bladder disease usually doesn't get that big, nor does bloat. I am no fish expert, but I think that there is a chance of early dropsy.
I hope she gets better, and I wish you the best of luck :)
Old 03-30-2013, 02:50 PM   #10 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancersmama79 View Post
I have 2 filters running in the 20 gal tank. i have quarantined her into a 1 gal tank with a filter and heater.... i regularly feed my bettas BettaMin and also drop algae wafers in for the snails and the fish eat those too. Ive read those are good for helping relieve constipation in bettas. I also occasionally feed them freeze dried bloodworms....
Oh, it looked a little cloudy. Maybe it is just the picture. How many bloodworms at a time? Too many can cause bloat.