Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #11 
dancersmama79

ive not fed mine bloodworms in awhile... right after my water changes the water is cloudy then after a half hr the water is clear again. she seems to be breathing heavy in the normal water and less active and staying to thebottom but when i put her in the epsom salt bath for 15-30 minutes shes more activeand lively and breathing normally. Not sure how to treat dropsy never had a betta with it.
dancersmama79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Why are you only putting her Epsom salt for 15-30 minutes? This isn't long enough.... Per the post that I quoted from Oldfishlady, she needs to be in the Epsom salt for 10-14 days. Please see the instructions in post #6.

There is also some helpful information about dropsy and its treatment on this thread.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-30-2013 at 08:01 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:07 PM   #13 
dancersmama79

I thought that you only put them in epsom salt for 15 to 30 mins at a time. I didnt think u could keep them in the epsom salt baths for any longer than that at a time without risk to the fish. I dont want to hurt her. Ive done another water change after checking the levels again in my 20g tank and the ammonia was high but evrything else was good. I have some melafix at home is that good for bacterial infections in fish?? Ive used it before... also wondering if the melafix would harm my snails and if i should put them in another tank while tackling this problem...
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

Epsom salt is safe to use long term. (Aquarium salt is not, though, as it harms their internal organs.) I would follow Oldfishdlady's advice and put her in there long term. Epsom salt is frequently used to relieve internal issues, such as bloating. (When my fish bloated, he was in Epsom salt for over a week without issues.)

My main concern is that your girl is already pineconed. This may indicate a serious issue.

There is a lot of controversy about Melafix (and anything else that ends with -fix.) It contains an oil that can coat the labyrinth, making it difficult for bettas to breathe. Some people use it, some people will not....

What was the ammonia level? High levels aren't good, especially if your fish is sick, since high levels will just tax her immune system further.

What does she look like now? Does she still look pineconed? Is it any better, the same, or worse? If she is still pineconed, I would contact someone knowledgeable about this type of issue- such as Sakura8, Callistra or Olympia - and ask for advice.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-30-2013 at 08:17 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #15 
dancersmama79

here are some pictures just taken of her... she doesnt seem to be getting any better my ammonia level using the test strips was 1.0 i do have an api test kit but i bought the wrong ammonia test last time so this is all i have to go on...and the water temp is about 80-82 in that tank all the time...
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #16 
Sakura8

Hi dancersmama and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry about your girl. It looks like she may have possible renal failure in one of her kidneys, judging by the location of the bulge. In this case, Melafix would not help your girl because the problem is internal and Melafix is only effective as an antiseptic for external wounds such as ulcers and missing scales.

First, I would increase the dosage of epsom salts to 2 tsps per gallon and it's okay to leave her in the epsom salt mixture round the clock.

If the kidney infection is being caused by a bacterial infection, which it probably is, then the only effective way to treat it is with a medication that absorbs well. This medication would be Seachem Kanaplex but it's unfortunately very hard to find and usually has to be ordered online. A second option to try would be metronidazole, which can be found in the medication API General Cure. Metronidazole is mainly for parasite use but in some cases it can be effective for internal bacterial infections. It's not the best choice but it will be the most effective because it absorbs well. No other antibiotic on the market will work, unfortunately.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #17 
dancersmama79

thank you for your help :)
Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #18 
dancersmama79

another question since ive been fasting her for 2 days when will it be safe to feed her again
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #19 
Sakura8

If she will eat, then feed her because she needs to keep up her strength. Food won't harm her since this doesn't appear to be a constipation problem.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #20 
dancersmama79

ok thank you