Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #1 
Artemis

The Rescue Of Dominic

I won student of the month at my school and a local pet store chain has embraced this and is passing out "Free Betta Kit" coupons to the winners. It gives you a small container of tropical fish food, some random water conditioner or treatment, and a half gallon or so bowl with gravel. I got the one in the worst shape I could find, a little blue VT, possible mustard gas with slight yellow on his tail and little dark blue spots on it but his paleness from the stress of these awful conditions won't let me see just yet. This is my first rescue so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Currently he is in the little bowl I got him with (an added plant) but we are getting him a 2 gal Kritter Keeper tomorrow. I don't have pics, they aren't uploading right right now but I'll work on it. He has eaten Omega One.

He seems pretty happy about being out of the cup and sits at the front and says hi kinda but he is terrified of people. He was at kiddy eye level and in front of them all. I bet he had been picked up and shaken and tapped more then once. If you move your hand, he darts around shaking the gravel.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #2 
Artemis

Got the pics!

Here's him in his cup:

And him in his bowl which will soon become a home to a tiny terrarium or aquascape. This was him right after being put in, his stress stripes have gone down a LOT.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #3 
Artemis

Him now. He is covered with a little washcloth that is used as an aquarium towel to keep it dark so he calms down some more. Sorry for the terrible phone pictures.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #4 
crystalicethorn

You might want to consider heating. Bettas do best in a warmer environment. Also remember to make regular water changes. And if you need any help dont hesitate to ask :)
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #5 
Artemis

Ya we need to get a heater. He got a new 1 gallon triangle tank. We will get him a heater soon. He likes to stay near the bottom and keeps his dorsal fin flopped. I think it was because he was in less then 2 inches of water and could get air without leaving the bottom entirely. He has stretched them some and swims some but I think he still feels cramped/
Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #6 
crystalicethorn

Bettas should be kept in AT LEAST 2 gallons, but if you dont want to buy him a new tank, you can try using plastic boxes (semitransparent)(something like this http://www.google.com.mt/imgres?um=1...2&tx=124&ty=82) . I use these for 2 of my bettas, both are 6.5 gallons and they are much cheaper than any tanks and provide more room. They also reduce stress as even though light comes through, movement doesnt come through that much and they dont see thing that could scare them.
The two of mine who are in the boxes only have a heater and are doing really well. But if he starts to become more active you can buy him a proper tank so you can show him off to others.
I do suggest giving him some more room to swim, and for decorations try getting tall plants (avoid sharp plastic and wire) they have a tendency to hide and sleep in those.
And since hes scared easily it would be a good idea to put something for him to hide behind in his tank :3
Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #7 
Artemis

He "slept" on top of the heater where he could tilt his head up for air. He doesn't move much and is still a light purple with darker blue stress stripes.

I am desperate at this point! He won't eat and is freaked out. Is this how it normally is? His fins are a little shredded but not to bad. Are they normally in bad shape the first few days? I've never done this before
Old 03-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #8 
crystalicethorn

One of mine didnt eat at least 1 and a half weeks before he ate his first pellet and another ate his first after 10 minuets, every betta is different. Since he is shy, it is best to leave him somewhere where there arent a lot of people passing by and when you feed him, just put in the food and leave, dont stay to watch, and if he wont even notice it, try dunking it, the movement will make it look more interesting.
If he still wont eat after 3 days try feeding him beef, mine cant resist it (if you try this make sure there is no fat or muscle tissue as he may choke, and make small portions. Do this before a water change so if he doesnt eat it he wont be swimming in filthy water)
(also the fins are often ripped so thats no problem and they will soon heal)

(My white halfmoon spent the first 2 weeks on his heater and he didnt really calm down till at least 2 weeks after i got him)
Old 03-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #9 
Artemis

His color was back some when I just checked on him so that's good. I think he will be a butterfly. He has a tiny bit of white on one of his upper caudal rays and some on his ventral. Can males have egg spots? He has one but he doesn't look female and the store I got him from doesn't even sell them.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #10 
crystalicethorn

Thats good to hear, and even though it is uncommon males can have egg spots, especially when they are young :3