Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #1 
bannlow2471

Water test results

Ok, I have a confession to make ... I've had Murray, my male veil tail, for five months or so now, and in that time, I have never done a water test. The reason? Simply put, up until recently, I didn't know I needed to. As I've mentioned in previous posts ... I'm a fish and Betta neophyte, and I'm doing my best to learn all I can. When I first got Murray, an unexpected gift from a co-worker, I had to learn quickly, and I relied upon a former colleague, our office receptionist who had previously worked in a pet store and worked in the aquatics department, to tell me what I needed to do. I was told that I didn't need a heater (actually she was right on this, as our climate controlled building helps to keep the tank at about 78 without it), didn't need a filter, and didn't need anything in the way of water care besides treating/conditioning the water with something like Betta safe and doing weekly water changes. After reading all the posts here devoted to water testing, water parameters, and such, I quickly realized that I had made a big mistake in trusting this advice, but was frankly too embarrassed to admit to it. In any case, I've made a couple trips to the store for various things and keep forgetting to purchase a test kit, which I finally did today. I haven't tested the baby's water yet, but I did test Murray's, and here are my results:

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

pH: Based on my test kit chart (API Freshwater Master test kit) it looks to be between 7.2 and 7.6

High Range pH: 7.4

So ... how do these look? I know ammonia is supposed to be 0 ppm but I'm not really sure what the rest of these are supposed to read. Feedback appreciated. Thank you!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #2 
Fishy Mom

How big is the tank? Do you have a filter?
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #3 
tekkguy

Couldn't be better. Do you have live plants in the tank, or did you just recently do a water change? I'd expect to see SOME Nitrates, unless one of those two things is the case.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #4 
bannlow2471

Fishy Mom, the tank is four gallon filtered with live plants. I use Betta Safe OR API Stress Coat and API Quick Start when doing water changes.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #5 
bannlow2471

Tekkguy, that is great to hear. I do have live plants (a few different kinds) and I did just do a 50% water change yesterday. So I should just keep doing what I'm doing then?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #6 
tekkguy

Yup. The filter and the plants will take care of everything for you, for the most part. You want all three numbers to be as close to 0 as possible, though some nitrates are fine. Actually, having a few nitrates will make sure you don't end up with certain types of really nasty algae, but having 0 is perfectly fine.

Most of my planted tanks have always stayed at 0 all across the board.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #7 
bannlow2471

Thanks very much. What about the pH numbers?
Old 03-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #8 
Fishy Mom

How long has the tank been set up? If it's been up & running for a month or longer you should be good.

Sorry for the short, sporadic responses. I'm doing a couple different things atm.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #9 
bannlow2471

This tank has been up and running about a month. I didn't cycle it before adding the fish but I used substrate from the previous tank as well as a couple plants. I also used API Quick Start when I set it up. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM   #10 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
This tank has been up and running about a month. I didn't cycle it before adding the fish but I used substrate from the previous tank as well as a couple plants. I also used API Quick Start when I set it up. Thanks for the input.
Well, you're all set & you're test result are perfect. Sounds like you did a great job researching & upgrading everything.