Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Best Medicine For Amonia burn of Gill and white fuzz on the fin

I am max capcity fish rescuing for now. One I aquired in the last couple of days was left in dirty water for at least three weeks. His interior gills are bloody red he has small sore on either side of his gills. He is in fresh water with ph of 7.0 and all other parameters are fine he will remain in a 1.5 gallon hospital tank until he is well with frequent water changes. That is the sum the info for the sheet you will need to know for a fish I've had two days. Oh He gets Omega and some other high quality food I can't remember right now. His lower fin in front has white tips (which would be blue) and one has white fuzz growing on it. Please suggest what I might buy at the LFS or big pet chain to treat him. I did do AQ salt and aloe slime coat water conditioner.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

1) How much Aq salt did you add? Using aq salt to treat wounds and sores is OK. But don't use aq salt for more than 10 days, though. Bettas are sensitive to it, and it can cause internal damage, especially to their kidneys.

2) White tips on the fins are fine. If it looks like regular fin material, just white-colored, it indicates new growth. If you notice dark or discolored areas on the tips, that would indicate rot.

3) White fuzz can be several different things. Does it look like the picture below? If so, it could be columnaris. Columnaris is an opportunistic bacterial infection that can spread quickly. (Ie: it can take hold quickly if a fish's immune system is already overworked from things like poor water conditions, etc.)

Columnaris: a bacterial infection
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

It's definitely white fuzz but it's only one front fin. I have some Maracide by Sentry in the house. It's hard for me to get a picture because I put him in a semi-clear sterilite container because the store only had one critter carrier. I decided due his size he'd be happier in the larger container. l left with two I was only going to get him out of there but a perky little red veil tail making a bubble nest for the 2nd time since I'd been visiting even though he'd been in dirty water. I bought another container today I will try to photograph him tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

He looks like he happy and is doing really well. The gills appeared swollen when I brought him home they look flat now. The outer edges are dark colored now. I am not sure if this is a healing sign. I am just add a small amount of salt and keep changing the water. The fuzz looks like it's gone too. He is not in heated tanks since warmth is supposed to help the fuzz grow. Once he is healed I may adopt him out. I have a fish that is really pretty identical in appearance to him. Different fin style but the color is identical. Pearl white/pink and royal blue fins. If I keep him I might as well call him "Brother "
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

He is doing really well except there is one pink wart like sore still near his gill the size of a pin head this is Perseus:

http://www.bettafish.com/picture.php...ictureid=43657

I am going to post a picture of his sore in a day or so when we do water change day. The sterilite contain is not clear enough to see it.