Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2008, 07:01 PM   #1 
blackrose

Help, I think my fish is in trouble

I got this fish for my daughter... I've never had fish before, and he seemed to be doing pretty well. But his tail is gone and he doesn't look very good at all. I cleaned his tank out today, it was getting cloudy and he had food building up... anyway, I saw that the tail was gone, and he was so pretty and he sure doesn't look very good now. What do I do for him? The kids are too busy to do much for him, so I'm stuck with the job and I sure don't want him to die. Can anybody tell me what to do? I would appreciate it!
blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

a good thing to do for a first time fish owner is to do some reaserch before getting a fish. Just like studying for an exam.

what is the tank size
what are the water parameters (tested with a liquid test kit)
do you have a heater for your betta? (those are needed for bettas need 78 degree temperature always)

it sounds like he could have some tail rot. it would be even better for a pic of the fish

more good info is in the betta gereral care sticky at the top of the anabantids forum
here: http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15392
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 AM   #3 
Oldman47

If his tank is noticeably not clean, change at least half his water with fresh water the same temperature. The new water needs to be treated with a dechlorinator before you add it back in. Do not scrub tank or filter surfaces as they will contain any nitrogen processing bacteria that you might have. The liquid reagent test kit is a very good idea so that you can know when to change water without it degrading so far next time.
Until and unless you get that test kit, change at least half his water every week. It may not be enough but it will be better than nothing and will help until you can start testing and figure out how much water change is really needed. If you test and find that his water is perfect, because there are no ammonia and no nitrites and reasonable nitrates, then we can start looking to other factors for his poor condition.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #4 
blackrose

Too late

Sadly the fish died the same night I asked for help. I was careful with cleaning his tank and was very careful about the water.... we bought water, the city water is nasty and has stuff in it.. the little guy had been here since August and it was just a sudden boom he's not looking very good to oh dam.. he's dead... my kids wanted him and I ended up with him and having to work and having had some very serious spinal surgery in the last few months I didn't think about checking things out better I should've gotten more info on him... he had a castle to hide in and he ate very well... so I don't know what went wrong... but no more fish for now.. I have the dog I still have to take care of.... and in two more years the kids will be in college! Thanks for the info tho I do appreciate your taking the time...
blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #5 
Oldman47

Sorry to hear that rose. I know how hard it can be to lose a pet like that.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote