Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #1 
mightyxmouse

gravel vaccum - suggestions please

I need a new gravel vacuum - any recommendations?

I had purchased the TopFin brand from petsmart but a month later, no matter how many times I pump the siphon, it doesn't work...
mightyxmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #2 
frankiefire

How big of a tank? I had problems using the gravel vaccum in my five gallon tank. Now I just use a turkey baster. Works great.
frankiefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #3 
mightyxmouse

5 gallon with filter - seems like a lot of people are using a turkey baster..i have aquarium gravel on the bottom of the tank - are there issues using the baster with the gravel?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #4 
shellieca

Make your own using an air line. You can actually use the tubing from the vac you have just take out the bulb.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #5 
mld02004

I have the aqueon mini one and it works quite well for my 2.5 gallon tanks.
mld02004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #6 
Jcube

I use Gravel Vac (PENN-PLAX) for my 5 gal tank. When you are to vacuum gravels, remove all ornaments in the tank first then use the method people post on Youtube. It works amazing! I hope it helps :)
Jcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #7 
mightyxmouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Make your own using an air line. You can actually use the tubing from the vac you have just take out the bulb.
thanks - gonna try this tomorrow - saved me $$$ :)
Old 03-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #8 
Blue Fish

You're having trouble getting the suction started, right? (all that pumping and nothing happens?)

I had the same problem forever, but I finally figured out that you can use a turkey baster to get it started. Just put the head/nozzle/bulb/whatever you want to call it of the vacumn into the tank water, lower the end of the tube to lower than the tank, take a turkey baster and squeeze the bulb (so all the air is out of the baster), stick the nozzle of the baster into the vacumn tube, and let go of the baster bulb so that it draws water/air into the baster. You may have to pump the baster a couple of times, but I guarantee you it'll work. :)

If you have trouble and want more help, PM me, and we'll get that thing working for you. :) I had one for years I let sit in a closet because I never could get the suction to work. I don't want anyone else to have that same problem! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote