Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #11 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Young male VTs often will have the spade tail look, but it's not a spade tail, it's actually a male VT who is a late bloomer - the dorsal, ventrals, anal fins are way too long for a VT girl, the body is elongated rather than stubby. I'm 99% sure it's a young male.. don't go by the ovi, as males will have that as well while young. Most likely this one is more laid back and has been hiding in the tank with the girls, which would cause his fins not to grow fully out, and him to have his ovi still. Most young males if kept in the tank with females for an extended time will be "late bloomers".

But that shape is a young male VT's shape of the tail before they grow out. Keep in mind, normally (not power grown like most of the bettas breeders do) it takes easily 9 months for the fish to mature and grow out.

Also keep in mind, if it is a VT girl, you just lost your chances of having HMs like in your avatar.. you'll end up with VTs, possibly a few deltas, but not sure on that.
I don't plan to breed the VT's. I just like yellow bettas, & since my spawn (which I HOPED would be yellow) didn't work out, I was WEAK.
Are you saying the VT I got on Aquabid is a male? Yikes. I really didn't want another male. These fish have been QT'd (along w/ a magnificent orange HM) for 10 days, and I was going to introduce them into the sorority this w/e so I can keep my eye on them. What to do w/ the possible boy??
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #12 
Xaltd1

Here's Tang:
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #13 
Xaltd1

Tang & Jack (avatar) can see each other from their tanks and they have been flaring up a storm. A mating would produce mostly oranges, right?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #14 
Myates

I'm not a 100% sure, but all signs I see point to VT male. I wasn't sure if that was one you wanted to breed to get the yellows.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #15 
Xaltd1

No; my money is on my last spawn pair, Jack & Glow.
Since that failure, we've established that the water in my spawn tank is too hard for the male to build a sticky bubble nest, so I might not try again.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #16 
Myates

What is the hardness of the water?

Too cool/dry air can cause nests to pop, so make sure to have a secure lid - I prefer to have a glass canopy (lid) to help keep the moisture in.
Also too high wattage in the lights can cause it too (too strong)- I use 7-10w in mine, florescent (screw in kind).
Lots of IAL will help soften the water as well..

Sorry you had trouble :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #17 
Artemis

You can try RO or distilled and add minerals. The AquaBid girl looks like a spade and the new yellow looks like a VT boy.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #18 
Xaltd1

Yes; I needed a tighter lid; my house is DRY!!! The nest was attached to the wall of the aquarium; it was evaporating down 3/4" per day, but I didn't dare add water.
About the Ph- its 8.2 to 8.4. I thought that your fish can't have a sudden Ph change. Otherwise, I could have filled my 10 gal spawn tank with softer water. I did a Ph test on my tap water when it comes out of a Brita filter jug- it is about 7. If I thought it was OK, I would get a gallon-size Brita & add it to the tank water. I have IAL in the tank + "Betta Spa" IAL extract.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #19 
Option

Based on the pic I'm already 99% sure that is a female VT. And when you said it's from Petsmart....I'm now 100% certain it's VT. Because the only other female type they sell is a crowntail and that fish you pictured is sure the heck not a CT.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #20 
Xaltd1

Oh, I had the spawn tank in natural light in a North West facing window (no fake lights, I wanted a natural environment) BUT there's a heat register under those window, so the dry heat comes up behind the tank.