Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Are you new to this whole betta care thing?
Yes 10 47.62%
No 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #1 
kender42

Am I an Idiot????

My betta lives in one of those kinda triangular tanks marketed specifically for bettas. It's got and under the gravel filter although I'm not sure it works right cuz every time I put it in the correct position it stops making bubbles so the filter stone just sort of floats in the tube a bit above the gravel and all the bubbles go up the tube. There's no heater but my house tends to be around seventy so I was hoping it was close enough. I've had the fish for about 8 months. I feed him HBH Betta Colorbright flakes in the morning and HBH Betta Bites Pellets in the evenings cuz that's what the package told me to do although he just recently started eating the pellets. Before that he only ate the flakes so that was all I fed him. He keeps getting constipated but until recently it went away on it's own. I'm trying to feed him peas but he's a very picky eater. I was also curious if I should maybe get a snail to keep the tank clean because as much as I try I'm not a very attentive betta owner. I have two dogs and three gerbils also in the house plus I'm a very busy girl in general so poor toothbrush ( my fishy ) tends to kind of fall through the cracks. I was hoping that if I got a snail the tank would stay cleaner so I wouldn't worry so much. I just really wnat to make his poor little life better but I also have a pretty limited budget. (whatever my parents will actually by for me, cuz I'm only 14) So I don't think a new tank is an option. I just want to know if I'm killing my fish.
kender42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #2 
EchoEcho

I am in no way an expert, but I do know you should try to get your tank to at least 78 deg with a heater for a betta.
EchoEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #3 
Neo

yea 78 degrees's is preffered although they can live great without that, if it is a tank made for bettas it is probably not big, (dumb industry cats tend to make them so small) so if it is small a snail is not good, too much waste, they need a gallon and a half to themselves
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #4 
Neo

and if u want a clean tank theres this thing called a filter...............works miracles
Old 04-28-2008, 04:27 PM   #5 
kender42

what kind of filter would you recommend? I have that under the gravel "filter" but all it does is make bubbles....
Old 04-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #6 
Neo

yea thats not the right type of filter that just catches waste tht falls between the rocks i think, im talking about a water filter, i have a whisper filter in my tank, it runs the water through and cleans it, it hangs on the side and sits inside of the tank. Walmart's are very cheap
Old 04-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #7 
Dave66

Azoo makes a little HOB power filter for up to a five-gallon tank. I don't know how large your betta tank is, but if its five gallons or under an Azoo palm filter would do the job.
You can see it here: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=9821
I've kept Bettas and their relatives off and on for decades, and would NEVER keep one without a filter nor a heater.
That little HOB power filter is gentle enough for a Betta. Otherwise, I'd suggest a sponge filter for Bettas, but slowing the bubble flow where it doesn't disturb the Betta's swimming takes some experience, and you'd need an air pump with a rheostat.

Dave
Dave66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #8 
Meatpuppet

i dont say you need a snail. they give off alot of waste and tend to make you water just a dirty.
its good you have both pellets and flakes for him. some frozen bloodworms and fozen brine shrimp once a week is even better. remember you can always give peas to your fish in different ways (defrosted, dried out, shelled cut up, or give them to him off the end of a tooth pick)
how big is your tank??
i recomend getting a liquid test kit to test water parameters
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #9 
kender42

I don't think my tanks bigger than 1 and a half gallons. I tried to feed my fish some peas but I discovered I don't have any toothpicks. whoops. Besides he won't eat them. Kinda sucks.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #10 
Meatpuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kender42
I don't think my tanks bigger than 1 and a half gallons. I tried to feed my fish some peas but I discovered I don't have any toothpicks. whoops. Besides he won't eat them. Kinda sucks.
well keep tryin. when hes bloated you may have to starve him until he eats the pea. it may be mean but its for his own good.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote