Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #21 
HMBbetta

So sorry to hear about Morgana. I can't help you with her, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're going through this.
*hugs*
HMBbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #22 
konstargirl

I'm so sorry. >< Have you try giving her peas to treat her swim bladder?
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #23 
mermaid77

HMBbetta, konstargirl, thank you! *hugs* :) I've been feeling so down and frustrated that if it wasn't for my Merlin still with me, I probably would've thrown in the towel with fish keeping after her passing....Honestly, since I embarked on this hobby in late February, it feels like I've been doing nothing but 100% daily water changes in attempt to treat one thing or the other...

This little girl seems intent on sending me on a roller coaster ride right along with her since she hasn't given up on me yet! It turns out she's livened up a bit again! Still swimming vertically, or I should say diagonally, but at least she's swimming around again rather than laying motionless on her side and her breathing isn't as labored.
I'm going to continue fasting her and epsom salt for another day or two and see how she does....I haven't fed her any peas since I've been reading mixed opinions on the safety of doing so and I'm afraid of only making matters worse....

Little bugger gave me such a scare! That's the second time she's done this to me only this time her condition was a lot more severe. Looking at her only this morning she seemed on the verge of death...I thought surely I'd find her dead by the time I got home from work. But here she is, clumsily swimming around her plants! Go girl, what a fighter!!!!
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #24 
Nix

I have read daphnia is a better laxative for them then peas. I wouldn't feed her a pea to be honest. My one boy Eridan has been having swim bladder problems but the epsom salt has worked for him so I haven't tried the daphnia myself. I am sure there are people on here who would know much better than me though. I hope she gets better! She is super cute!

Last edited by Nix; 04-12-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #25 
mermaid77

Thanks Nix! :) I see Petsmart carries frozen daphnia, I'll definitely pick some up to supplement her diet!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #26 
Otterfun

how is morgana?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #27 
mermaid77

Hi Otterfun :)

Well, she's hanging in there trying her hardest to swim around all the while looking like she's carrying the weight of the word on her tail :( Her SBD has her all out of whack...
When I first noticed she had it ( her first night home ), her problem was trying to get to the bottom and then immediately bobbing back up and having trouble keeping her balance while floating.....Now, it's the opposite...she has to put a lot of effort to reach the surface. She'll swim a few laps, go up for air, and then plunks herself down on the first plant leaf she sees or sink to the bottom for a rest....She looks exhausted, but otherwise alert...
She isn't bloated at all...this is her third day of fasting and although her condition is very much improved...she's still far from her usual self :( It's taking her longer to bounce back from this...and that's why I'm thinking maybe constipation alone isn't her only problem....
I'm just at a loss as to what to try next to improve her quality of life by preventing her of ever having this severe of a relapse again, though if it's congenital issue, there really isn't much I can do...

Last edited by mermaid77; 04-13-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #28 
konstargirl

Thank you for updating her.. ><
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #29 
mermaid77

..............And then there was one.....
Merlin died this morning...he had been treated for external parasites and then moved to Inuyasha's 5g tank....
A tank that has been torn down and disinfected 3 times since the whopping less than two months I've had it....everything in it replaced...substrate, plants, decor, filter....
I'm tired....

Only after a day of being in there, Merlin clamped up....got really lethargic...
he seemed stiff like...He did manage to flare a couple of times...but his fins remained clamped and stiff while he did so....

I changed the water again....and I need to know what I'm up against....
It's not wise for me to be getting any more fish at this point...
If this is a serious infection that might've started with Inuyasha....Morgana will soon come down with something anyway through cross contamination....I only had the one gravel vac/siphon...

So...the plan is...she is now in THAT 5g tank...I'll be closely monitoring her...she ate today, and her water is still dosed with her Epsom salt...no clamping as of yet, though she does rest at the bottom frequently...but that's not unusual due to her chronic SBD...

If she dies...I think this will mark the end of my fish keeping hobby...I really am tired...this experience has been anything but rewarding...Heartbreaking, expensive and stressful would be better words for it....
Old 04-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #30 
mermaid77

I forgot to mention...other than the gravel vac, both she and Merlin had been housed in Inuyasha's first 1,5g tank at some point...which had become my QT tank...and other tools used in common were an eye doppler for water testing....and water changing jugs...

This is just to clarify that I wouldn't intentionally subject Morgana to be a guinea pig if I thought she hadn't previously been exposed to any potential contamination....
Her chronic and over time worsening SBD is suspect to me....:(

Still hoping for the best...though experience so far has taught me not to keep my hopes up too high...