Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #21 
Artemis

I will be rescuing when I get a house of my own. I plant on getting a large metal rack and keeping them in 2.5 gals like these :http://www.aqueonproducts.com/produc...-aquariums.htm

The first one. Seran wrap on top with holes and maybe a 10 gal sorority and 10 or 5 gal divided.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 PM   #22 
Fenghuang

Depending on how many fish you plan to house, I think one or two larger tanks (10 gallon, 20 gallon long, 40 gallon long, etc.) that you can divide into multiple segments would be a lot more cost-effective to buy, set up, and maintain than a whole bunch of little tanks. Seriously, some brand new 2.5 gallon tank kits with cheap quality filters and hoods cost almost as much as or more than some plain glass 10 gallon kits I've seen. And think about how many heaters and other miscellaneous supples you would need for them all. If you look around, you may even be able to find decent used tanks for practically nothing.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 03-31-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #23 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Depending on how many fish you plan to house, I think one or two larger tanks (10 gallon, 20 gallon long, 40 gallon long, etc.) that you can divide into multiple segments would be a lot more cost-effective to buy, set up, and maintain than a whole bunch of little tanks. Seriously, some brand new 2.5 gallon tank kits with cheap quality filters and hoods cost almost as much as or more than some plain glass 10 gallon kits I've seen. And think about how many heaters and other miscellaneous supples you would need for them all. If you look around, you may even be able to find decent used tanks for practically nothing.
Don't forget to quarantine new fish though, to prevent the spread of diseases!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #24 
Fenghuang

Oh, yeah, that's true. You would need to be extra careful about that with rescues... Hmm. I guess my suggestion works a lot better for permanent betta homes. /:
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #25 
Viva

There once was a tinnnny male HMDT that I saw at Petsmart that was just the cutest thing EVER! It was white with black spots...looked like it would marble later. I didn't get him because I simply didn't have enough room :( He was the cutest betta I've ever seen though :D
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #26 
capnspaz

The past few times I've been to my LPS I've seen a beautiful male (though I forget now what type he is) with really amazing pink, blue, and black colouring. But my favorite part is that he has two black markings on his face that look exactly like a mustache. Every time I see him I want to take him home!! But I'm having enough trouble keeping my current fish healthy, so I know I can't. :(
capnspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #27 
rubinthebetta

I once went to the pet store and there was a pale, dirty looking male with no tail. Not one bit. I told an employee, and he took it to the back room. Chances are, I sent that little guy to his doom. And even worse, when I got home, my parents said that I could've gotten him! I was so mad. They could've told me that back in the store!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #28 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubinthebetta View Post
I once went to the pet store and there was a pale, dirty looking male with no tail. Not one bit. I told an employee, and he took it to the back room. Chances are, I sent that little guy to his doom. And even worse, when I got home, my parents said that I could've gotten him! I was so mad. They could've told me that back in the store!
Dang thats sad :( Fish in that condition are the reason I want another 10 gallon tank to divide...I could rehabilitate up to 3 bettas at a time with it. My three tanks and six bettas now are enough work though. My parents were also famous for that...they'd see me wanting something so bad and then wait until its too late before telling me its okay. And when it comes to the life or death of an animal its even more irritating.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #29 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Viva you could split it in 4 (2.5 each) to rehab the most at one time. Even if they lose one gallon each from a ten divided in three, it is a lot better then a cold cup.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #30 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Viva you could split it in 4 (2.5 each) to rehab the most at one time. Even if they lose one gallon each from a ten divided in three, it is a lot better then a cold cup.
That's true :D I kind of want a bare bottom tank too so they won't lose any swimming space. Not sure if I'm actually gonna go ahead with it because my boyfriend might get mad =p