Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #1 
Splendens17

Question

Hey guys I'm new here! Hope I'm in the correct section basically I've seen people with 1.5 gal 2 gal etc... And my bettas are in a 10 gal ( orange vieltail) and a Cambodian? Female in a 20 gal community. So, one site tells me 5 gals minimum but other people tell me different so what is YOUR minimum tank size for a betta?

Cheers!
Splendens17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #2 
Artemis

I keep 1 gal as minimum for permanent home. I have 2 in this size (separate tanks) and have had a few of them and they live for usually 2 years (they had bad care as far as feeding as we were uneducated at the time on bettas)
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I agree with Artemis. 1 gallon to me is the bare minimum for a permanent home for a betta. I will not attack someone if they are housing their betta in a heated and maintained 1 gallon tank.

However, I also think that 5 gallon tanks are a great size for a single betta whether male or female. They offer the fish a lot more space to move around, and an active fish is a healthy fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #4 
Elsewhere

I try a minimum of 2.5g for a life long place to live. Right now I have two divided 10g tanks, one empty 30g, one empty 5g and one empty 2.5g. I will soon have a new permanent resident to the 2.5. I would keep them in smaller, but in my experience he smaller tanks are actually more expensive overall, as they are sold in kits :/ So long as your Betta seems happy, I don't really think size matters!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #5 
Splendens17

Thanks to the three of you! (And future responders) glad to hear that! And to be part of this great community!
Splendens17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #6 
kyle89

We have our lil boy in a 5 gallon now. That's the largest I think I would do for 1 Betta and 2.5 for minimum
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

For me it depends on the Betta, some are more active than others but at a bare minimum permanent home I go 2.5g. The thing to remember is the smaller the volume of water typically the more work to keep the water & Betta healthy.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

I also think 1G is the bare minimum. As long as it's heated and well-maintained I think it's perfectly fine. But as the saying goes, "The bigger the BETTER!".
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #9 
Allirane

I'm actually getting a one gallon (I have now started buying them... Buying one just wasn't going to stop there!) and want to make sure I do it right.

So how often shall I change the water? I have had one before and it wasn't much hassle at all. I also have a 5 gallon and would it be okay to put them next to each other?
Allirane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

1 100% change and 1-2 50% changes will make sure the ammonia won't be as high. It will be alright to put the tanks next to each other, but a paper in between can work. Both male bettas in each tank?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote