Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #11 
Allirane

Potentially. Whatever catches my eye and needs rescuing I suppose :) I have no idea yet. Thank you for your advice!
Allirane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #12 
homegrown terror

the smallest we have any of ours in is 2 gallons. we have a 1g as an emergency hospital tank, and several pasta-sauce-sized jars, but those are only for holding plants till they're used, or for photo sessions.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #13 
Blue Fish

I agree with others who stated that as long as water quality is good and they are warm, I won't attack anyone for anything 1 gal or over. But, I wouldn't put any of my guys into something smaller than a 5 gal. It's amazing watching them when they first go into a "big" tank. They swim back and forth, they explore...it's like a little kid getting out into the world for the first time. :)

One caveat to this though, you MUST have enough plant cover (silk or live) in a bigger tank to make them feel secure. Otherwise, they're miserable in the bigger tanks because they're afraid to go anywhere.

My 9 boys are currently in 10 gals each (20 gals divided for all), and the 6 girl sorority is going to a 20 gallon long once it's set up and they're all healthy/free from quarantine. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 AM   #14 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allirane View Post
I'm actually getting a one gallon (I have now started buying them... Buying one just wasn't going to stop there!) and want to make sure I do it right.

So how often shall I change the water? I have had one before and it wasn't much hassle at all. I also have a 5 gallon and would it be okay to put them next to each other?
Lebron already gave you the water change rec's, but as for the tanks being together, I like keeping mine to where they can see each other. All of my guys live in divided tanks, because they really seem to enjoy the company of the other betta. :) They flare a bit every now and again, but if I remove one, the other sulks and gets depressed. (this is for all the tanks, there are nine currently housed in pairs/triples) And once his "neighbor" is returned, he's happy and bouncing around, eating better, not hiding, etc. so they really seem to enjoy having another fish to interact with. :)

Now, if they're flaring constantly, then you might need to put a paper between like Lebron said, at least part of the time. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #15 
VJM

Personally, i don't want to do more water changes than my 2.5g demands, so that is my lower limit. QT or hospital, I think a 1g tank is fine.

As I learn more and enjoy my planted tanks, I really want larger tanks. I have my eye on a 6.5g long tank, and I impulse bought a 12g long recently. The 6.5 will take the place of my 2.5 in the office. The 12g is going to be my fancy show tank at home.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote