Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #11 
Hadoken Kitty

Well...I'll see what girl the breeder who sent me my copper male gives me. Hopefully they'll give me a nice copper girl. I believe it's a sibling, so this would be ideal. I still need to figure out something to do with my VT girl. She's pretty much egg bound...
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #12 
GoodMorning

lol, u ordered some more bettas? u betta-addict hk, lol. i wouldn't worry about ur vt female, they get eggs as they age, she sounds normal to me and a very eggy female is always a big plus, i will not be surprise if ur female pops out 800-1,000 eggs, lol.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #13 
Hadoken Kitty

Yea I just don't have a fit male for her. My DT geno male that I was going to breed her with has been really lethargic as of late. For no reason. The female was an "I'm sorry" from the breeder. I originally purchased a female, but I opened up my package to find a beautiful male. So I messaged the breeder asking if there was anything they could do about it, but then I said never mind I was very happy with my male. Well, they wanted to give my a female anyways. So she's going to be here soon. Haha.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #14 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'd say wait for your new female.

Like most fish, female bettas carry 2 egg sacks. These sacks fill constantly be filled once the female is sexually mature. SO there is actually no such thing as "being eggy" because they always have eggs regardless of their body shape. If the female doesn't see a male, she will either release unfertilized eggs and eat them or she will absorb them. But if she sees a flirting male, then her eggs sort of "rippens", ready to be released/fertilized. This is when you usually see their bodies get fatter than usual.

In short, you don't have to worry about "eggy" females.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #15 
Hadoken Kitty

Hmmm. I didn't know that, Indjo! Thank you for the info!

I had heard from a few people that a female with eggs that don't get used can be harmful to her. Is this true? She's my only girl who is ALWAYS huge. She's pooping normally, so I can't even say that I think it's constipation. If she absorbs them or eats them, then they fill up quickly again. Will this be a problem for me in the future?

I plan to wait on my sibling female from the breeder. Hopefully they'll be super careful about picking out a female for me this time. I have an extra tank for another male, just in case, but I'd rather not have one. X.X
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If she is getting thick (her whole body), then reduce feeding.

If she is only "fat" in the belly area, it could be due a number of reasons (not exactly sure). Fasting usually works but I have this male who is always fat bellied regardless after fasting for 2 weeks (not intentional). He seems normal otherwise.

If she gets fat in the belly area AFTER feeding, you don't need to worry. It just means she ate more than her share. . . . most of mine are like that. You could reduce feeding if you're worried.

If it is due to eggs, then you don't have to worry.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:15 AM   #17 
Hadoken Kitty

I fasted for three days and she was still huge. My girls are all pigs, though. Nothing gets by them. I was feeding them and while they were rushing for the food I dropped in algae wafers...they ate their food and then proceeded to munch on the wafers...I can't win with these girls. >.< She's just so....fat. After fasting, all of my other girls slimmed down..not her. Nope. Still a big cow girl.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:22 AM   #18 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That's the problem with sororities - you can't really determine the amount they eat. If you can make more than 1 sororities, put the pigs in the same tank/group while the "normal" eaters in another group. That way you can fast the whole tank without worrying.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #19 
Hadoken Kitty

I can't really do that as of right now. D: I have just enough room to breed and sell, and keep one more male. Then I'm out of room. Darn housing restrictions. xD I'll try fasting again and see how it works. Would her eating her own eggs cause her to get huge like that too?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #20 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It might. But in a sorority, all should feast on them.

Forgot to mention that traditional types (VT and PK) are in general bigger than modern types. . . don't know why. So that might also influence her "size".