Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 05:17 AM   #1 
Parthy

Thumbs down New tank questions

In planning on setting up a new tank soon. I have a tank without the lid, so I am looking for a quality lid that will work well for a planted tank. Are there any lids that work better than others? I also am ordering an aquaclear 20, so I need a spot to put that. I was thinking of using Eco-complete black as my substrate. Will plants root in that easily? And should I put other substrate over it? Also what are some recommendations for plants, and hardscape items. I always see these cool knotty looking branch like things in people's pictures. What is that? Lol.

Thanks for the help. :)
Parthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #2 
Nothingness

I would recommend doing lots of research before starting the NPT. It will save you lots of headaches from making silly mistakes. I have never tried the eco-complete so I can't comment on that but the soil and sand cap is a much cheaper option. It cost me $15 for Miracle Gro Organic soil and 40lbs of play sand to fill a 55g with enough sand left over to set up a sand only shrimp tank.

Plants should root just fine in eco complete as it is a substrate meant for planted tanks. I believe a cap is not needed with it.

We can figure out plants once you have a lid and we know what light levels/source your working with. Avoid LED lights. Hardscape comes down to personal preference. I use granite rocks from my garden and some various pieces of driftwood purchased from a local fish store. And the knotty branch things are just that. Check fish stores or petstores for driftwood pieces
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 
Parthy

Thank you! I don't plan on using LEDs, I have seen a lot
Of people talk about bulbs that are I think 6500? Or 6400? I was thinking of using a hood with those. I could also get a full spectrum bulb.
Parthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #4 
Fishybitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthy View Post
Thank you! I don't plan on using LEDs, I have seen a lot
Of people talk about bulbs that are I think 6500? Or 6400? I was thinking of using a hood with those. I could also get a full spectrum bulb.
6500k is right :)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #5 
Nothingness

the type of bulb will make a difference as well
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote