Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #11 
SunshineSulie

Don't do what I did and go for the cheap food with a decent packaging. I did that, and my betta has been bloated since I got her home and started feeding her that.

I just got Omega One Betta Buffet Betta Flakes. I think some fish like flakes and some like pellets. Don't freak out if you can only find the good brand in flake form; go for the good brand anyway!
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:35 AM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar

Flakes are just messy and hard to feed a certain amount since they're all different sizes which is why they aren't recommended. Some say they cause bloat but I'm not sure if there's proof behind that or not so don't quote me.

Picky eaters will eventually learn to eat pellets if that is all you offer them. Don't give them the choice. Most fish won't refuse New Life Spectrum - it has garlic in it and is very high quality, but its too small for some mouths.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:41 AM   #13 
SunshineSulie

She eats pellets, but only if I soak them or crush them. I got the flakes today for her and there is no way I am going back and getting her a different food. Again.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #14 
jadaBlu

lwaysBettalover definitely posting mostly wrong info. The age of the child has little to do with proper care of the fish. It's like the person is saying well since the child is two you can spend as little money as possible on the fish and neglect to take care it properly. You don't want to teach your child about how fish get sick and die quickly (with poor care) and all you have to do is not care and go buy another one. It's like the member is basically saying the fish is just $6.00 thing not a living being just nothing but $6.00.

You can demonstrate for her how how fish can live for years with proper care.
A two year old can understand that fish don't have pottys so their water gets dirty and nobody wants to live in a dirty place and get sick so they have to have new water every week or more often if the tank is really small which it shouldn't be. If you want to demonstrate for yourself and her how true this is don't put rocks in the tank for the first week and see how dirty it looks.

A two year old can understand that fishies tummy is no bigger than his eye so he can't eat lots of food he gets a full tummy fast so he has to no more food in meal than size of his eye. A two year old knows we have our meals spaced apart and so must the fish.

A two year old can understand given a choice people and animals are happier with enough space to around. Not the baby pool but a nice bigger size "swimming pool"
Putting the fish up high and the food too is a good idea so she doesn't reach and pull the aquarium over which is dangerous for the fish and the child. Even if you explain about how to feed the fish the food should be high as I've read a few posts where children thought they were being helpful by dumping a whole bunch of food in the tank. Sunlight encourages algae growth and fluctuating temperatures. Overall, please go to the Betta Care section and read the proper care section.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-31-2013 at 12:52 AM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSulie View Post
She eats pellets, but only if I soak them or crush them. I got the flakes today for her and there is no way I am going back and getting her a different food. Again.
That is fine, but for anyone else who happens to be following the thread including the OP, pellets are better than flakes and NLS pellets are very tiny. I fed them to my very small, young fish with no issues. NLS is also slightly better nutrition wise than Omega One. I had to order mine online but it was worth it. Plus, they need a varied diet.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #16 
SunshineSulie

I already have 5 types of food for her that I have been slowly acquiring... :/ Plus bloodworms... and soon to be fresh daphnia...
Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

Lol I've slowly aquired 7 different types of foods and plenty of different back up medications. I usually add them to orders online when there are other things I find that I need, because the only store I have in my town is Walmart and they're practically worthless.

NLS is the best nutrition-wise that I know of so I do think it would be worth trying if you ever do get the chance. I've never had a fish refuse it, but then again, I've never had a picky eater. But it is a nice small size for small mouths! I found that it came in handy when I got my girls because they were a lot smaller than I expected, lol.

I guess I should mention that if you have not already tried it, you could try soaking pellets in garlic juice? Garlic makes food more appetizing to them. NLS contains it which is one reason it is so popular with the fishies. It is also good for them.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:10 AM   #18 
alwaysaBettaLover

..... didn't mean for my post to end up as a " troll post" sorry I botherd you then...

Last edited by alwaysaBettaLover; 03-31-2013 at 11:22 AM.
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #19 
Xaltd1

I'm always curious as to why people say bettas will eat only pellets. Even my imports prefer flakes. I've tossed in a few biogold pellets @ the same time as pellets; they let the pellets sink & eat the flakes. I feed as varied a diet as I possibly can; they get a flake feeding 1x per day, and the 2nd feeding is either freeze-dried or frozen food. They LOVE the frozen cubes from the San Franisco Bay company. If you take a few tablespoons of their water in a paper cup, add a cube, swirl it around a bit, then pour off the tidbits. The fish go nuts! An entire cube is WAY too much for even my 13 bettas- I usually wind up giving them 1/2 cube & freezing the cup w/ the rest of the food in it.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #20 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
I'm always curious as to why people say bettas will eat only pellets.
I don't think they will only eat pellets. I know of quite a few that would not eat anything but flakes. But pellets are not as messy and they are much easier to feed in a certain dosage - 3 pellets vs. say, 3 flakes... pellets are all pretty much the same size and flakes are many different sizes. This obviously doesn't matter as much if you are feeding a group of fish, especially like, a sorority, because it's nearly impossible to feed each and every one exactly X amount of pellets.

Flakes also decompose faster and break down if they remain uneaten. Also not really an issue if you've got a tank such as a sorority because they don't really let food go uneaten.

I guess one thing that I like about my NLS pellets more than any other food is that they do not decompose like any other food type I have seen. Pellets such as Omega One get waterlogged and lighten in color, grow in size, and if you've ever attempted to siphon a sunken pellet like that, it breaks up into a million itty bitty pieces. NLS stays whole, doesn't lighten in color, and if you try to siphon it out even if it's been sitting at the bottom of the tank, it still stays in one piece and makes clean up a lot easier.

I know that this is mostly a personal preference and in certain cases, like if you have live plants and don't really need to siphon the gravel, it doesn't matter as much, but there are many people who think that pellets are better than flakes. I have seen some who believe that flakes cause bloating issues more often, but some fish bloat easier than others and I'm not really sure of the truth behind that.