Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #1 
JJChocolate88

Oh No: My Eggs Have Fallen Out of the Nest

I woke up this morning and discovered that a bunch of tiny whitish specks were all beneath the bubble nest. I see my poor little male trying frantically to put them back in and I am upset.

I have no idea what happened, maybe part of the nest fell apart or something, but there were at least a hundred eggs spread beneath the nest and I just have a feeling that I'm not going to be having a fry any time soon. The poor male hasn't eaten (or slept probably) since the spawning and now this disaster has happened.

I'm disappointed.

I just found out that my female is actually a copper half-moon (not dark silver) and my male is royal blue crowntail with red tipped fins and I thought they would have very unique looking and cute fry, so I'm upset.

How could this have happened? If they don't hatch in the next few days, shoudl I just take the male out and recuperate him and try again in a couple of weeks?
JJChocolate88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #2 
Option

Everything is normal. Have you done your research before you started breeding? Or do you just seek reassurance??

Why are you so emotional? You'll never make it through the breeding process if you're this dramatic.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #3 
JJChocolate88

i did so some research, i can be a bit dramatic sometimes, i admit. that is just my personality. i just need to know that everything is going along as it should.

so it is normal for this amount of eggs to fall out of the nest?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #4 
Myates

Some research.. I suggest doing lots.

Eggs normally fall from the nest, and so will the fry. The male will pick up the viable ones and place them back into the nest. Why it's very important to condition them properly before breeding, so he has enough nutrition/energy to keep up with them. Whatever he doesn't pick up most likely aren't viable.. if he misses any there is still a chance they will hatch.

Do you have the fry food ready? What are you planning on feeding them?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #5 
alwaysaBettaLover

Everyone here is right. The male will pick up the eggs and fry. I wouldn't worry so much. Your watching natural life happen. Let it happen as it is supposed to. I wouldn't interfere.
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Eggs are going to fall out of the nest and so are fry, it's all perfectly natural. Spawning is a stressful and physically draining exercise but like someone else mentioned, this is why proper conditioning of the male and female is so important. Those eggs and fry are going to run him ragged until they become free-swimming, and so he is going to seem frantic and stressed until this happens.

Just let your male do his job and stop freaking out. Sounds like he is a good father and has a handle on what he is doing.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #7 
JJChocolate88

@ myates,

I have microworm culture ready and hatching brine shrimp. I tried growing infusoria, but the culture failed.

I thank everyone for their comments. I will try and be more calm from now on and let nature take it's course. I just always worry that something will go wrong.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #8 
JJChocolate88

oh my gosh, I am an idiot. The eggs just hatched, I looked at the little things with a microscope, they're FRY with little black dots and tails coming out of the nest now.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #9 
JJChocolate88

i was worried for nothing.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #10 
Myates

Yay! Now don't start hatching your brine shrimp yet.. wait until the 2nd or 3rd day to start it up.. otherwise the BBS will die or be too big or not have the egg sacs left and not be edible for the fry.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote