Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #1 
DezernGirl

Question Sponge Filter Help

The tube on top of my sponge filter is not submersed because my water is to shallow in my fry tank. How could I change it to make it work? Can I lay it over or should I cut down or take off the tubing?
DezernGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #2 
trilobite

you could do either. Its probably easier to take the tube off but laying it on its side is equally as good :)
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #3 
GoodMorning

i just cut my tube with a knife to make it shorter. But, it can be dangerous; so if your dad or brother has a dremel and a cutoff wheel, it'll probably be easier.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #4 
DezernGirl

I have a dremel tool so I might try that :) I tried putting it on its side and it started bubbling from the sponge so it didn't work :P When am I suppose to turn on the filter? I've read you can from the start but it agitates the surface too much. I added a valve to adjust the air coming in, but it still makes a lot of ripples in the water when turned almost completely off. Would it be ok to wait until my fry are older to turn it on? I've also read two weeks old was a good time to turn it on.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #5 
justmel

I don't know what I am doing with breeding yet, I am still learning, but I do have some 3 wk old fry. I have a sponge filter that is very high as well, I tried turning it on it's side & when that didn't work just filled my tank more (this was all done before I found this site & all the useful information). The outflow was heavy, so I put a sponge on the end of it to break up the air bubbles. My filter has been in and on since I put the spawning pair in the tank and I've had no problems with it this way.

If you wait, someone with more knowledge then me will be able to answer your questions better than I though.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #6 
DezernGirl

That's a really good idea actually. I might have to try that
Old 04-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #7 
justmel

I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #8 
Myates

To control the amount of air/bubbles when using a sponge filter.. can just get an air control valve... it regulates the amount of air going into the filter and it's cheaper than a sponge for a bunch of them.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

I never use the clear plastic tubes that come with my sponge filters and I have never had any issues with fry or how they operate.

I think just simply removing it would be a better and easier option than trying to cut it down to size or make baffles.

If one air control valve is not making much of a difference to flow, you can add a second further along the air line tubing and that can slow it down even more. I do it sometimes if I have a strong pump with only a couple of filters running off it.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #10 
Myates

My Ancistrus sp04 plecos LOVE those clear tubes from the sponge filters in the grow out tanks.. they are always getting in there whenever possible. They would hate me if I removed them lol. Sometimes end up having to make smaller water changes in the 29gs because I can't get one out of the tube and I don't want to shake the filter in the tank -.- silly fish..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote