Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #11 
missfish1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasfur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashygrrl
And who on earth can afford to keep it at 78, much less who would want to?
Very much agreed.
I SECOND that agreement
missfish1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #12 
Meatpuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfish1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasfur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashygrrl
And who on earth can afford to keep it at 78, much less who would want to?
Very much agreed.
I SECOND that agreement
Just so you all know, i didnt mean for you to crank the thermestat to 78. I meant get an aquarium heater. sorry if i caused confusion
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #13 
bettababy

I just want to add something I noticed was missed in the discussion about the heater....
There are 2 reasons for a heater in a betta tank...
1. They need the tropical temps that most room temps won't be able to offer

2. Room temp tends to fluctuate from day to night, and if there is a light fixture over the tank, that also will make water temps fluctuate. Water temp tends to stay slightly below room temp in an unheated tank. The most dangerous part of not having a heater is the constant up and down of the temp as seasons change, as day/night changes, as lights go on and off, etc. Temp fluctuations of even a few degrees, if often, can be deadly to any fish!
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #14 
Flashygrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatpuppet
Just so you all know, i didnt mean for you to crank the thermestat to 78. I meant get an aquarium heater. sorry if i caused confusion
LOL, I was trying to point out the reason in getting a heater too :)
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #15 
Pasfur

Re: Just got my Betta today...need advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyez0623
Do they absolutely need a heater or is it just better for them with the higher temp?
I am just pointing out the original question. The answer is no, you do not absolutely need a heater to keep a Beta in a 6 gallon aquarium.

Regardless of the system you set up, there are always upgrades and improvements you can make.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #16 
Greeneyez0623

Sad news

Wel first off thanx to everyone who left info and feedback. It helped alot and was very nice. But unfortunately my new Betta died on Saturday. I'm not sure why but all I know is that the food the store gave me she wasnt eating so i bought some new food and gave her that, the old in the morning a piece of both in the afternoon and the new at night. She wasn't eating any of it EVER! I got her last Tuesday and she hadn't eaten a thing since I got her so I am wondering if she starved herself to death. I read somewhere that a Betta can take up to five days to get used to a new food.

Also the day b efore she died I cleaned the tank. I put new water and conditioner and left her in her other bowl until the 6 gallon was back room temperature, cuz I'm sure it was much too cold right after I cleaned it. When I put her in she was fine, swimming about like normal, but still not eating. Does anyone know what I possibly did wrong or if it was because she didnt eat?

The kind of food I had was betta bio-gold pellets and Betta color bright flakes.

I am planning on getting another betta but I will wait until i get a heater. That might help. How can you tell which ones are girls. I want to get 2 bettas and i cant get two males lol.
Greeneyez0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:37 PM   #17 
bettababy

Re: Sad news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeneyez0623
Wel first off thanx to everyone who left info and feedback. It helped alot and was very nice. But unfortunately my new Betta died on Saturday. I'm not sure why but all I know is that the food the store gave me she wasnt eating so i bought some new food and gave her that, the old in the morning a piece of both in the afternoon and the new at night. She wasn't eating any of it EVER! I got her last Tuesday and she hadn't eaten a thing since I got her so I am wondering if she starved herself to death. I read somewhere that a Betta can take up to five days to get used to a new food.

Also the day b efore she died I cleaned the tank. I put new water and conditioner and left her in her other bowl until the 6 gallon was back room temperature, cuz I'm sure it was much too cold right after I cleaned it. When I put her in she was fine, swimming about like normal, but still not eating. Does anyone know what I possibly did wrong or if it was because she didnt eat?

The kind of food I had was betta bio-gold pellets and Betta color bright flakes.

I am planning on getting another betta but I will wait until i get a heater. That might help. How can you tell which ones are girls. I want to get 2 bettas and i cant get two males lol.
Lack of temperature can cause a betta to stop eating, and I have yet to see a single betta actually eat any kind of flake food. Were there decorations in her tank? Stress is a major issue, and lack of decorations mixed with not enough heat can be extremely stressful to any fish.

As for 2 bettas... if you get 2 bettas, male or female, they have to have their own bowl/tank. Please do not keep 2 females together. The females are just as aggressive as the males and they tend to chew on each other until there is only one left. Typically the weaker of the fish will die, and that is usually by secondary infection from the damage done by the stronger fish.
The way to tell male from female, look underneath... the female will have an egg spot (small white tube where the end is visible) just under/behind the pelvic fins.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:49 PM   #18 
mritter

I just wanted to comment on a bettas and flaked food. I've had a betta who would not eat the pellet food, so I purchased a flake food for bettas and he went nuts for it. Unfortunately he decided to explore the world outside of his tank (didn't have a screened cover over the tank)! I just purchased another betta a week ago and he also enjoys the flake food as well, so they do eat it and yes, this time I put a screen over the tank so this fella doesn't decide to go exploring outside of the tank LOL.
mritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 03:53 PM   #19 
bettababy

Whether they eat the flake food is usually dependent on what they were raised on, and the majority of them will not take it.